WA Decision: Tenant damage $2700, but $1200 bond

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Frank Frick, 20th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank Frick

Frank Frick Member

Hi all,

Evicted successfully a non-preferred tenant.
    • Breached many times for smoking inside... post-vacate inspection showed that the smoke tar accumulation on the ceilings was significant and required special anti-tar oil-based primer for the repaint, adding $2200 to the painting bill.
    • He also had camouflage-daubed the long hallway paint with patches and and streaks here and there over different parts of the walls and cornices, carelessly blending sand into the paint surface in many places, causing extra charge for prepping the walls for a smooth repaint.
    • Modified the master ensuite toilet cistern inlet plumbing with a crude hose-pipe coming off it for anal toilet. Water got from there (ooops) under adjacent master bedroom carpet and along a wall which peeled both sides.
    • Broke off a plastic conduit for washer draining into the laundry sink
    He reported the PM/me for not returning his bond. Now he has given up on that action.

Options:

1. Would LL insurance [Comminsure] cover any of that?

2. I'm selling it so I could claim the repairs in the cost base... if I make any gain...

3. Or, should I pursue the rest of the damages?
    [Why would I? What's wrong with me? Because this ungracious person sued me for $7000 12 months ago, claiming the rundown state of the dwelling (it wasn't) have caused him significant depression and anxiety, including fear that water would come out of the walls or ceiling -- this wording is actually in the claim he made. I settled out of court for $500 pus PM's time cost.]

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What has Comminsure said about all the damage as if you don't ask ,you don't get ..
    Plus when you look at the ''COST'' of bringing a Tenant to justice is tremendous in terms of time and effort..
    IF this was me i would let the insurance take control of the damage or just walk away and put it down to experience..

Propin, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

A bit late now, but for the future, look at EBM for LL insurance. They are great, and will cover all sorts of stupid things that tenants can do to a property. No other company compares. Like @willair said, talk to them at Comminsure and see what they will/won't cover. No company covers cleaning expenses, as that is considered 'poor housekeeping', so the bond can be used for that.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Lodge an insurance claim fir the amount not covered by the bond.

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Claim with Commbank, see if it's worth making the claim (probably won't be), and then take him to Tribunal.

Michael Mitchell and Burramys like this.
  6. Frank Frick

Frank Frick Member

Thank you Tom, Will, Skater and Marg.
    I'll do the necessary insurance moves and come back with the result.

skater likes this.