Deciding the design category

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by pankaj, 20th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pankaj

pankaj New Member

In the absence of NDIS data around design categories approved in participant plans, how are developers deciding which ones to build? The NDIS does not provide a breakup of design categories approved in participant plans. Is there any data source that provides an estimate of this breakup?

2. rookie101

rookie101 Well-Known Member

Hello, I'd link in with the housing hub or Summer foundation re wait lists. I think Wheelchair accessible would be in high demand based off the amounts of participants requiring it

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Seek your own advice but to give you some context of where I'm at. I am the largest SDA provider (probably), only 3 doing more that 50 dwellings this year. I have 82 buildings scheduled to start before March. Did over 230 either completed, started or unconditional build contract in 2020. More than 50 tenants in now, more than 100 sorted to go in by Easter

Robust is in most demand by far - you need to be on big blocks (>1,000m2 and away from shops etc) with separation from neighbours and one resident per villa though.

High Physical Support has urgent need - most HPS built properties aren't fit for purpose and if we do agree to take the better ones on to manager then we only use them as Fully Accessible because they are still too small.

Fully Accessible - wouldn't build it as only 10% of the HPS stuff that's been built actually is HPS

Improved Liveability - Very little being built. Decent demand here too.

So any of the categories will work, you just need to make sure they are fit for purpose, in the right location and, for the time being anyway, you need to make sure the provider has great relationships with support workers, hospitals and health services. The NDIS hasn't done a great job of educating participants about SDA. It is arduous process to get in their plan and it takes time.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.