QLD Deception Bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by eng, 10th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Thorm

Thorm Well-Known Member

Nice write up @@eng.

So... if you're an aspiring slumlord, DB, Woodridge and Kingston gets the thumbs up then? :)

Taku Ekanayake and eng like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Those population statistics are misleading. 2011 was a very long time ago and lots of stuff has happened since then.

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

MyPropertyPro and norwoodman like this.
  4. eng

eng Well-Known Member

Check with your brother & solicitor. It will depend more on them.

Correction "broker" :)

Last edited: 15th Dec, 2015
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

My brother?

eng likes this.
  6. Jared H

Jared H New Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased an IP in Deception Bay after a fly in visit a couple of weeks ago and thought id add / share what I thought.

As far as I could gather, there are 4 main parts to D bay.

The area closest to the water, from Park Rd to the Esplanade is predominately your 400sqm blocks built in the 70's with a lot of government housing. Majority of this area is pretty low socio economic demographic. There are also quite a few retirement complexes and units being built in this area. Majority of houses are your typical 3 bedroom 1 bathroom high-set builds, predominately with the under floor not 2.4m. From what I hear, crime in this area is relatively high. I cant help but feel its only a matter of time before this area becomes quite popular though.

West of Deception Bay road are all predominately newer houses built in the 2000's on bigger blocks. Typical housing estate houses - more family orientated, plenty of owner occupiers. Majority of houses look the same as the one across the road.

From Maine Tce south east to Morris Rd tends to be lower set houses. Built in the 90's / 2000's there is a relatively large population of younger families here - blue collar workers.

North of Thompson St to Bermuda Av I think is probably the nicer part of east of Deception Bay Rd. Majority of the streets are dead ends so traffic is low. There are larger blocks of land and generally at the end of each street there are parks and children's play grounds. It is also only a few blocks from the esplanade. This area was my pick.

A couple of things I discovered in my searches -

- 13 - 19 Beach Rd, is the old Mara time research center which the Moreton Bay council is apparently looking to turn into public space - parks, extended bike tracks etc.

- Petrie paper mill is being converted to a university campus (New Petrie university to be open by 2020)

- Northlakes Westfield is MASSIVE. There are a lot of retail jobs here coming out of D Bay.

- The main highway between redcliffe / Deception Bay and Brisbane is being upgraded from 4 lanes to 8, expected to finish in 2017

- Flood maps are important.

Ekin200, Cobari and larrylarry like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

All that plus I would check zoning. Urban zone you can do a lot.... Next gen you can also do a lot.... the other ones... can't do much. But I think the locals are not so aware of the potential with the zonings so you can pick up housing in Urban or Next Gen areas for not much of a premium.

MBRC Planning Scheme - General residential zone

scientist likes this.
  8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The zoning changed on my IP 3 weeks after settlement last year. Bargain :D

Zoned for up to 21m high. Hence suits a low-rise.

Carefully check frontages and block size, but you can do more than you would otherwise think.

14m frontage is perhaps the absolute minimum for a practical development. Most blocks in the urban part of DB are 10m frontage.

Best to get planning advice to help with interpretation of the codes.

Luckycharm likes this.
  9. Jared H

Jared H New Member

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Jared H likes this.