Debt Recycling - which config?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Jmillar, 28th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I bought my first PPOR earlier this year ($960k debt) so never had to think about debt recycling before, so trying to get my head around it. I've got 9 IPs and should be in a position to buy another in 6 months or so.

I just read this guide which was insightful, and I understand the concept and how it works.

It talks about the different ways you can do it (LOC, IO loan with split loan, P&I with split loan) as well as the benefits/drawbacks of each, which makes sense. So which way do you do it, and why?

Do all loans have the option to split loans, or do only certain banks support this?

For those who do it, do you use shares or property as the product youn invest in (or a mix)?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Some lenders are better than others at spitting loans

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AMP is the bees Knees coz you can go from OO PI to INV IO, which is of greater benefit to higher income earners

Mac is next in line, one can limit swap from PI to PI OR IO to IO

CBA is ok, wbc is ok, ANZ > 80 nah, and below are slow

Most non banks are ok

NAB is out, ING is out, STG is out,

STG Portfolio is a good product for DR, BUT in these times, one doesnt want to use a LOC product for hard debt

ta
    rolf

4. Jmillar

Thanks both.

For my share investing strategy, I'll be using DRP so won't be pulling money out of shares to pay down debt as I go.

If I am stuck having to have the new split loan as P&I investment due to inflexibility of the bank, I guess the repayments are the same as they were when it was P&I PPOR anyway, the only difference being the interest portion becomes deductible.

I guess IO investment loan would be more ideal as it provides more funds to sink into shares/property

5. Terry_w

How will you be debt recycling if you do Drp?

6. Jmillar

Will just pay off chunks of PPOR debt with salary - I can have a 3 month period where I get paid $100k+ so will aim to pay down a $100k chunk at a time and then split the loan and invest etc. My PPOR debt is circa $950k so won't take very long to convert it to deductible.

I think it will get a bit complicated and a PITA if my trust gets the dividend, pays it to me, I pay off debt, loan back to trust, invest etc. I think a 'set and forget' DRP program would be easier to manage. And my dividends in the initial stages will only be a few hundred bucks here and there so not worth the hassle.

7. Terry_w

Have you considered a company to hold the share investments? I have a thread on this too

8. Jmillar

Nope, why would I do that? I'm guessing the company would be owned by my trust? So that profits can get sent to chosen beneficiaries?

9. Terry_w

It is a simple way to manage and profits could come out to the trustee shareholder to soak up losses.

Jmillar likes this.