Debt Recycling via salary, property and now shares...

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Kassy, 29th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

This is my first post to this section of the forum!

As some background, long time property investor with my DH. Current property strategy is for cashflow positive and all properties are currently running that way, they are also in growing markets.

We have had some up and down years financially and made mistakes early on by following incorrect advice from 'smart people' for example with redraw – only unmixed mistakes with this in recent years (was also advised we couldn’t fix the mistakes prior to this but that’s another story of bad advice). We were also hit in the GFC on the stock market, job loss (mine), fertility issues and so it goes on. DH and I are both in IT and well qualified.

We have pretty much run to the end of the road with being able to fund and purchase property at the moment and our most recent purchase #cashcow will be our last for a while. Hence, we are now at the stage where we are refocusing again and wanting to make headway on our considerable personal debt as our first priority and also grow our wealth where we can. We are also quite time poor as we are focusing more on family life at the moment (toddler DS), I am also working part time which reduces the income somewhat. After our previous bad experience in taking others professional advice, we have become a bit more selective.

It therefore may surprise people that we have recently approached a financial advisor for assistance. We are currently in the process of working on a Debt Recycling strategy and we have gone through different scenarios to achieve what we want to achieve as quickly as we can using the cashflow we have both from our PAYG and property and also generating some via the sharemarket. Our strategy going forward is long term as was the creation of our debt.

So far we have been very happy with the service and also the knowledge of our current advisor @Alex Straker #HTRE. Alex is very easy to talk to, knowledgeable and very open to answering questions along the way or to refine things as you go. He has already gone further with a solution to go forward for us than anyone we have previously worked with. As we go along, I will update at various stages but I won’t be flooding the forum with posts. I won’t go into too much depth about our Debt Recycling Strategy as I think a lot of that is actually Alex’ IP but I will happily discuss the overview if it helps people to decide what to do themselves.

Cheers,

Kassy

FYI - We have never received any kickbacks to post about any of the people we have used on the forum, or even been asked to post. We are not affiliated with any people here, we are not real estate agents, mortgage brokers and we have no aspirations to be anything in that or a related field. The only reason I have posted about mine and DH’s experience is that people don’t seem to post much about their experience with the businesses on here so I hope my posts help someone. Not professional advice.

S.T, Becs, orangestreet and 11 others like this.
  2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting to where you are now! Alex is a great bloke, you're in good hands.

Butterfly88 and Kassy like this.
  3. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your story. I love to hear where people are at and where they are going and which paths they plan to take. @Alex Straker has always been generous with his time and knowledge in this part of the forum (possible in other areas too - but I only frequent here).

Best of luck - I am looking forward to hearing your updates along the way.

Kassy likes this.
  4. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Hey Kassy, Really appreciate your kind words and I thoroughly enjoy working with yourself and Derren. You are great family people and fully deserve the success that is going to come your way ;)

Redwing and Kassy like this.
  5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Thanks @Alex Straker, really appreciate all your hard work! Looking forward to putting in some hard yards and getting somewhere :)

Thanks @chylld and @sharon for your comments ;)

sharon likes this.
  6. Pete_81

Pete_81 Member

Hi @Kassy
    I have also recently engaged with @Alex Straker via HTRE in the hope of formulating the most effective plan to debt recycle my PPOR debt.
    His expertise and professionalism is exactly as you have described and is also very generous with his time to thoroughly explain all the benefits and risks of his strategy.
    I have been very honest and open to him about my financial position and in return he has also been very patient with me because before i engaged with his services, i basically had no clue with where to start from but after many hours of consultation and discussions about my plans and intentions, i now have a direction and goal to work towards instead of making uneducated guesses
    I am at the moment in the accumulation stage in life and due to recent borrowing conditions, he has shown me a way where i can continue to take small steps forward in reaching my end goal without jeopardizing my lifestyle
    I understand that everything he is trying to explain to me won’t entirely make sense to me at this early stage but i have total confidence with Alex that the results will be as fascinating as he promised due to the transparency of the whole process
    I’m also more than happy to update my results from the debt recycling process over the course of the term and hopefully will be able to help anyone who may be in the same situation as i am
    @Alex Straker is now much more than my financial planner, i see him being a big asset to my wealth accumulation for the remainder of my working life and hopefully beyond that too
    This forum has also been a life changer for me as i have silently learnt so much just by reading about other people’s mistakes therefore minimizing my own but also providing me with endless strategies on how to stay ahead of today’s game and could not have happened without the frequent posts and information regarding changes in this industry ie brokers, financial planners etc
    Once again, thanks to @Alex Straker again for helping me choose the right path suiable for me....

KittyCat, sharon, Kassy and 3 others like this.
  7. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@Pete_81 thanks for responding! Good to hear from someone else going through the journey! Please also keep me/us updated on your progress, we all have a different road. I wish I had found @Alex Straker earlier, I am sure you will do very well. :)

Butterfly88 and Pete_81 like this.
  8. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Hmm... two new members who are basically first time posters. No real details given about their situation, mainly fluff.

Not suspicious at all.

Never giveup likes this.
  9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@pwnitat0r - Not a first time poster. I have posted about twice the volume of you and I was a member on Somersoft for many years. I outlined my situation, my life and situation is not ‘fluff’. If you want ask a genuine question go ahead. Your post adds no value to the thread otherwise.

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2017
    Parkzilla, 738, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  10. Pete_81

Pete_81 Member

Also a big thanks to @Terry_w for clarifying my previous loan arrangements @euro73 for spending countless hours mentoring me about the economy @Jess Peletier for trying to help me try getting loans in my difficult situation @Jack Chen for explaining how to get to where you are
    Just due credit to those who have helped me.... nothing more
    I try learning as much as I can silently and clarify by actual engagement..... hence not many posts
    No affiliation with anyone mentioned above

Redwing, Perthguy, sharon and 3 others like this.
  11. pwnitat0r

Forgive me for suspecting that you are Alex posting under another name.... won't reveal your debt recycling strategy because it's Alex's IP! Surely you can see how one could construe this as a corny marketing pitch?

12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Kassy has 239 posts - it would have been a very long and protracted deception to plan. Sounds legit to me.

Redwing, Parkzilla, skater and 6 others like this.
  13. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@pwnitat0r, maybe you should think before you post. It's attitudes like yours that stop new people posting at all. Some of what I wrote was personal to me and took some effort to write and I am sure it was the same for @Pete_81 feels the same.

If you knew @Alex Straker at all, I think you would also realise he doesn't need to post let alone post as someone else to drum up business. This is true of other professionals on here as well. They give their time and expertise freely so that people learn. Their IP has value and is not for me to give away.

14. Pete_81

Pete_81 Member

@pwnitat0r totally understand your perspective
    I don’t really mind actually..... it keeps the forum real....
    I think that myself sometimes when I read other people’s threads too, but feel too novice to question anything....!
    I intend to post results when it happens as I just started to engage with @Alex Straker so I’m sure he would be more than happy for me to share it once we see the actual outcome....

15. pwnitat0r

Fair call, my bad. Got her posts mixed up with someone else.

Still, I think specifics of the strategy being implemented would be more helpful for other readers of this forum.

From my point of view, there's no secret to working hard, spending less than what you earn, refinancing equity for investment purposes which is tax deductible and using that to invest along with the power of compounding. I don't see how any of this is IP.

16. pwnitat0r

So where/what are you guys investing in with your newly recycled debt?

What kind of returns are you expecting and over what time frame?

17. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Spoken like the true Zen master you are Pete :)

18. Pete_81

Pete_81 Member

谢谢!!

19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

That would be a Chan master's response!

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

FYI - mods can also trace IP addresses of posters - and hopefully flush out sock puppets.

Can occasionally incorrectly flush out posters in the same family using the same machine though!! :D

The Y-man

Kassy likes this.