Health & Family Death.......

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Stoffo, 3rd Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It isn't until we lose someone we think about it o_O
    It is inevitable for all of us (currently):oops:
    Yet consistently we dont plan for it :(

I would like to think my life will be long and prosperous, but S#IT happens :confused:

I lost my best friend last night, at 46yo, we've been best friends since prep school, he didnt plan for it, as his father hadn't when he passed (when we were 14yo).
    Am saddened by this sudden loss, though he/we had a good life and friendship I do wish it had lasted many more years.

It may be an awkward and uncomfortable conversation, but please sit down and have it with those you love and value.
    Only then will they understand and respect your wishes when you are gone.

@Terry_w has various posts and threads of value regarding planning ;)

Phantom, MTR, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yeah its not a topic many like to cover with family, but it has to be had. It could be when you are 94 it could be in an hours time on the way to the shops.

I have a will which covers my estate/investments/shares, as well as life/tpd/ip etc etc insurance. I have also made my decision re organ donation (yes, my meat suit is no good to me once I am gone), and have instructions for what happens to my animals.

Stoffo likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Timely thread.

All packed here, just dropping the dog off and waiting for the call if I need to jump on the red eye tonight to see my father.

I'll know in about an hour.

Carpe diem people.

Sorry for your loss @Stoffo .

Perthguy and Marg4000 like this.
  4. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

My condolences. I've got the next fours day off if you want to grab a beer and chat.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So young & unexpected. The older that we get, the younger any age becomes but this is quite young.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm morbid.......but as well as writing my will (Now on Version 4) I have:
    • Let people know what music I want played at my funeral. (the curtains will shut to 'Always Looking on the Bright Side')
    • Written a short life story so a celebrant will have something to go off. (Often children don't know much about your early Life)
    All at the relatively young age of 63!

Next is to get a funeral bond before I'm 66.

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@bashworth, it's not morbid to me. I find it realistic. For years I participated in endurance cycling events where participants can (and do) die or are killed. Consently, I have a will and have discussed funeral and burial wishes with those close to me. You are going to die, so you may as well be prepared.

bashworth likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that and much love to you

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

@hammer best of luck
    One should never "hope" for one more chance, rather be happy with no regrets.

Sure, I'd like a second chance, the chance to have made more of an effort.

Thats the reason I decided to post @bashworth
    We both believed we would get old, and like far too many people we made plans for tomorrow and ignored the "what if"

We all have superannution, shouldn't it go to whom you want ?

Plan for the worst, hope for the best :cool:

bashworth and hammer like this.
  10. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

@Stoffo so sorry for your loss. :( Awful news.

Yeah, we don't know what's around the corner. So important to live for today. Just know that our spirit lives on, he is with you in spirit, and you will meet again soon! :)

I was visited by a colleague a few months ago who died suddenly. I'm open to it. Perhaps your friend will visit some time and say hi in your dreams. Before going to bed you can ask for a visit. Do you remember your dreams?

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Kind of hoping we dont meet again soon o_O
    That sounds like it would be bad for my future :rolleyes:

I just hope this conversation prompts a few people to get their house in order ;)

We have worked hard and gone without to build some form of wealth, we should be concerned with the details of what happens eventually ;)

I have a will, but my partner doesn't :confused:
    This will need to be rectified

hobo likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Sad to hear this stuff. 46 is way too young. Was it a heart related incident Stoffo or something that had a bit of forewarning?

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My condolences mate.

Sorry to hear this...I know you have a bit on your plate now. So take some time out for yourself also.

14. Alex P Keaton

Alex P Keaton Well-Known Member

Hi

Well not too soon. I was trying to comfort.

Yeah important to have a will. I have a basic one. Everything goes to my nieces and nephews.

For some reason and this probably sounds a bit morbid but lately I’ve been thinking I really need to clean out the clutter. I still have boxes of crap. I wouldn’t want someone else to have to go through it all if I were to die.

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts are with you @Stoffo

It puts things into perspective. Don't sweat the small stuff (and I find that difficult advice to take for myself).

Property Twins likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Thanks all.
    He actually fractured a few vertebrae from a push bike fall a few weeks back, he was in the support cage to limit movement while healing, seems after a few drinks the other night he took some of his pain relief and either over dosed or choked (confused, a reaction or doubled up).....

I posted hoping that the conversation may help others to face a subject we rarely want to talk about :rolleyes:

Your Will is probably the single most important financial decision and action you will ever make :cool:

Marg4000 likes this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You also need an Enduring Power of Attorney so that someone you trust can take care of your financial and legal affairs if you are incapacitated.
    Marg

Stoffo likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

19. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Feel for you @Stoffo .. life has a few downsides, and that's certainly one of them.

I had my 'OMG I'm gonna die one day' realisation when I was 18. Made a LOT of better decisions because of it through.

Sadly, I see quite a few dead people of all ages, andin many different (sometimes odd) situations . Youngest wasnt even 2 months old..
    Makes me want to hug my kids a lot more often, even when they don't want it lol.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm morbid - but I'm very philosophical about death - it is the only certainty in life. I think it's a family trait as we never seem to get upset when anyone dies - and always seem to find humour.

When my grandfather died, from a heart attack, apparently his false teeth flew out and the running joke in the family is whether my grandmother tried to catch them. It's just how we do things

Yes, have had a will done up for decades (probably due for an update) - have let everyone know how I want to be farewelled (any usable organs recycled - cardboard coffin for everyone to paint on - ashes turned into a red diamond).

However, yes - 46 is to young and what a way to go!:(

Stoffo likes this.