Dealt with Peter Mastroianni's company Rentvesting?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Justin Morris, 22nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Justin Morris

Justin Morris Well-Known Member

Received a mentor call booked next week..no charge for mentorship

Before the call I had a chat to Peter on LinkedIn (or whomever is messaging on his LinkedIn) a book was mailed out for free called The property investor's buyers guide.. As a newbie I'm finding it quite helpful

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

There are some great free resources out there.

For me I listened to the audiobook version of The Effortless Empire by Chris Gray. (Available as a PDF or Audiobook for free from here: Download Our Free Property Investment Book - Your Empire).

It was great stuff to listen to in the car on my trip to and from work and it made a lot of sense to me.

It talks a lot about surrounding yourself with people who know more than you and spending the money on a GOOD team, it made a lot of sense to me. Everyone I used in my purchase process was on recommendation, I didn't once consider the fees when deciding who I wanted to work with.

3. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

I cannot speak for this company, personally I never went to any mentoring seminars, don't think I ever will (although I'd like to go to Tony Robbins one day), I find them to be scammy and upsell.

I just consumed book after book and read these forums ad nauseam. Also the propertycouch podcast is super legit.

KayTea and Dan Donoghue like this.
  4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

+1 for this, I love this podcast :)

5. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Second this it is a great podcast.

Plenty of free information out there. I would head to a library and grab as many investing books/magazines as possible.

Justin Morris likes this.
  6. Justin Morris

what is your thoughts on investing in some older properties around 300k in Logan Tony? I'm yet to acquire my first IP but want to build a solid foundation with good yields so i'm not paying out of my pocket to service them

7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Mate you started one thread about BInvested.
    Then Stuart zadel

Then this
    First Investment: Off the plan apartment in Edmondson Park, Sydney VS older house in Logan, Brisbane

now this on some other salesman who calls himself a mentor.

Now looking at logan.

Stop actually thinking about property for a second.

Sorry for being blunt or sounding frustrated but you need to rein things in a bit

What do you have, how much will you have in say 6 months or a year.
    What price bracket does that put you in.
    What state is in what cycle stage
    What suburbs fulfill your strategy - short or long term.
    Shortlist 4-5 suburbs.
    Learn all about them.
    Learn about sociopath economic trends.
    Use ABS data to identify shifts in stats (income per household), younger average age, professions etc etc
    Follow stock coming on market and sold section.
    Get understanding of how the market is in each suburb.
    Understand the better parts of each suburb
    Then start looking at properties..

Just saying "what do you think of this sales mentor" is doing what? All that is going to happen is that you will be convinced of his methods as you don't know otherwise..

You need to educate yourself. That doesn't mean paying for a course to be spoonfed the agenda of that salesmen.

Maybe property is not for you bud? Why do I say this? Coz there is a massive thread on Logan here, it's talked about a lot, sommersoft has an equally large thread in its archive. Yet you haven't taken the time to look.
    Others have given you advice already, yet you are asking us for quick answers.. it raises red flags for me..

You say "don't want to pay out of pocket to service" but answer this: is it better to recover $20 a week on a $300k property growing at 2-4% per annum, or spend $100 a week on a property growing at 5-7%pa +??
    Since your on the topic of foundations, you need to think about that, especially if you wish to buy again in the next 5 years..

But to answer your question on logan, sure 300-300k you can buy something. But as for it being a foundation property, I would say they are far from that. Far from. Logan is an area that requires (most of the time) a pretty involved strategy, in that you need to know very very well the area and house types, look to tidy up to manufacture some equity to extract again.
    I wouldn't be buying in logan region on a pure buy and hold, revalue and try to pull equity in 3 years type strategy. You need to be clear on what you are trying to achieve.

I've missed a heap of steps I'm sure but I'm trying to outline the type of concepts that need to go into investing.
    It is easy to jump around with ideas from one area to another, houses vs land, growth vs yield. That is a sign of a lack of clarity..
    I am guilty of it in various aspects of my own investing and life.

Anyway bud, take a breath and have a think.
    You should be able to find a heap of info on developing a strategy.

But as others said.. and this may appeal to you:
    Fast track some knowledge gain by listening to the "property couch" podcasts from the start.. they have very solid and ethical concepts and will help you build a decent analytical mindset for moving forward.

Last edited: 22nd Mar, 2017
    pwt, House, Gockie and 8 others like this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree that more research is required. All over the shop without the basic foundation in place

9. Justin Morris

tha
    thanks for the uppercut mate.. i needed it haha..

I have now learnt you can search keywords to find existing discussions (no more blasts . i promise :) haha..

I will continue reading, listening etc whilst i am saving my deposit (will aim for 30-40k) with LMI

Excited about the journey.. which has brought me here to this forum!

10. Greyghost

Good stuff mate!

Don't confuse action with success. Buying a property doesn't make you an investor (well it does, but not in the context of being successful in wealth creation).

Buying a property is the easy part, it's the other 80% that takes time and skill.

I know I came across hard on you, sorry.

If you need help or need clarification on anything PM me..

Tony Fleming and Justin Morris like this.
  11. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Hey Justin I'm not familiar with QLD that well but as others have suggested maybe go through the Logan specific threads. @Simon L might be able to help as I believe that is his hunting ground. Regarding the other post about OTP I would read up on that as that is another issue altogether.

In the meantime you are in the right place to learn. I'd keep researching and fine tuning your strategy. Keep us updated on your journey :)

jefn89 and Justin Morris like this.
  12. Justin Morris

Yes mate.. taken onboard.

haha.. a bit like my boss at times.. sometimes I guess I need it.. many do.

Ok, will do and thank you for reaching out! :)

Greyghost likes this.
  13. Justin Morris

Thanks Tony and will do! :)

Things can only get brighter! I've had the mindshift of erasing bad debt (Nice cars), blowing my salary on weekend binges and eating out to now saving majority of my salary for a deposit of 30-40k which I'm confident I will achieving fairly quickly.. i'll add LMI

Tony Fleming likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

LOL ... "sociopath economic trends" ... I hope that was an auto-correct typo (socio-economic?) and not a real thing?

Or have I misunderstood economics this whole time and it's all about the antisocial personalities? :eek: :p :D

15. Greyghost

Hahaha
    Take it how you wish!! Lol

16. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

This might help Prices for TrumpThe Art of the Deal by Donald Trump

17. Greyghost

Ted Varrick likes this.
  18. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

'Free mentorship' from someone you don't know who runs a property business doesn't sound like 'mentorship' to me, it sounds like a 'sales strategy'. That doesn't mean don't go, it just means be wary.

Justin Morris likes this.
  19. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

That's a bit harsh, TPU.

These mentors are working their fingers to the bone every day, including Sundays (and their penalty rates have just been cut), to achieve their dreams of Ferrari ownership, and the prestigeship of an upgrade in societal status, with the added bonus of a probable bestseller cookbook, by educating the great unwashed for a "minimal" (and I use the term loosely) fee.

And once they reach their destination of social media domination, only then can they celebrate the journey, from their own starting hardship of crawling barefoot, with uniforms that only the stubborn understains were holding together, over broken glass to get to the bus stop, just so they could get to school, and eventually arrive at the richness and prestige they deserve.

Archaon, Beano and mikey7 like this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Good points - The mentor wont be doing any personal favours when their share their invaluable knowledge and secrets of how to be successful. They do these things to make money.

A minimal fee.....Are you kidding ? Finance - Fee in that. Strategy to rentvest maxes out loans so there is a higher fee income trail in that. and so on.....Always ask yourself what they can make from each deal and it may astound some. I have been offered $15K per client to hold seminars and the like. I wont do it. If they can pay me $15K then you know its overpriced....And typically the strategy revolves around you having equity in other property ...Do you know why ??

Answer : That way there is no valuation issue with the new property. If you needed to access 80%+ LVR on the new property you may find it doesnt fly. Its why ASIC and APRA are attacking lending to take the punt out of the auction market.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2017
    pwt, Beano and Greyghost like this.