Dealing with family members that have learned helplessness!

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Serveman, 22nd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All bets are off when its an addiction sadly. The cycle is the same, rehab, get out and back to rehab. I think its more than 80% that fail. We have two friends their daughters been on this road for years Such a waste of life

Basically the parents have to cut them off

Serveman likes this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thanks for the advice ,I just arrived back from the Jail visiting centre ..Waited in the car park watching all the inmates people bring new clothes suits in with them till it was time to go through the stressfull process of walking in sitting where I was told to sit the watch my mates son march out and then told where to sit next to me--as heis only a number ..
    I felt out of place ---I was the only person without tatts and rough tear drop tatts around both eyes-- and you learn very quickly avoid all eye contact very very sad day for me and all the other that walked in with me..

I had a list of question I wanted to ask ,but after showing that list to our daughter who works within mental heath after 8 years of solid study this morning ---my daughter just said DAD don't ask anyone of those questions that can be sorted once he is back with us and free ..

3. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

It's hard to say what it is that makes someone accountable. It takes a lot of strength and insight to acknowledge bad behaviour and change. This is why enabling such behaviours never helps. Sounds harsh but being a victim is a cop out and an excuse. It's a very hard choice for this person to confront whatever is behind the helplessness but unless they do how will they ever be happy? If they can get through it it's a gift.....they might get worse when you redraw the help. It is a risk and very hard to say without knowing them. How about counselling?

Serveman likes this.
  4. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

very hard to learn for many of us to completely ignore someone when they are family. eventually we all learn that