Dealing with dust from development site

Discussion in 'Development' started by Keentolearn77, 28th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had to deal with neighbours complaining about dust from development site. (Won’t be an issue for months, only a few weeks)
    Builder has started works, excavation, dry conditions in Melbourn and dust from earthwork is settling on a neighbours vehicle, patio furniture etc.
    Council planning permit has conditions including builder having a traffic management plan incorporating need for methods for containing dust. Not sure what methods can be applied, apart from spraying water every few hours and hopefully not turning the site into a mud pit.
    Hope neighbour is not being over fastidious in order to make some odd compensation claim....
    Thoughts peopla.....

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What does your builder suggest?

I suggest erecting dense shade cloth or similar along the fence - as high as possible - to contain the dust.

And keep misting water regularly to keep the dust down.

Also, keep open communication with the neighbour - it’s a legitimate complaint and worth checking in to ensure that minimisation actions are working.

lixas4 likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Definitely need to keep the neighbour onside so they don't become a problem during the whole build.
    Do the misting as suggested above, but also consider offering to pay someone a couple of time a week to wash their car and hose down their patio. The cost of that for a few weeks will be incidental and it might keep them happy.

307ve, wylie and Stoffo like this.
  4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We have had a similar experience with the amount of concrete cutting, Pavers and stone work, our neighbours are super lovely and I want to keep them onside. So gave them a voucher to the local car wash with a coffee as a good will gesture. It was a well spent $60 as they had a Prado

wylie and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In addition to spraying the area with water..
    It may well be cost effective to have a cleaner tend to next doors outdoor area 1-2 times a week.
    Particularly Fri afternoon so that it is clean for them of the weekend, so it will cost $100pw for a few weeks, it could be a way cheaper option.
    Even some local carwash voucbers wjll go a long way in the good will stakes ;)
    (Edit, got to be quick around here.....)

Something_Wrong likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Don’t automatically think the worst of your neighbour. They are simply exercising their right to have you adhere to the conditions of your permit to build, which is hardly unreasonable.

Some good suggestions above.
    Marg

Something_Wrong likes this.
  7. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

thanks peoples

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My earthworks dust caused my neighbours pool to look terrible. As soon as I found out I went around there and offered to have it professionally cleaned.
    They were very appreciative that I offered

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. 307ve

307ve Member

Some excellent suggestions pointed out above, I deal with multires construction in inner city Brisbane on a daily basis, some of the methods we use is gardening demisters on timers, especially when clearing rubbish, bins etc.

Dust and noise are the two hardest to control. Dust because it escapes and gets everywhere and noise because it can travel so far. Both of which are unavoidable with construction.

Another consideration not listed here is rubbish or debris/earth on the road including nails or any other sharps.

Relationships with neighbours whilst in construction are valuable and should be respected as such.

Many of times I’ve had to use utilities for smaller scale jobs. A coffee and a friendly introduction is always a good way to front foot the issue.

May I also suggest if the neighbour gets narky, install a dust-monitoring device. Always helps in your favour if one is installed and a record kept by your builder. (In extreme cases)

Sackie likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.