Dealing with 2 deceased estates

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Single, 4th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Single

Single Member

Hi, first time posting. My father passed away Jan last year. Left 1/3 equal shares large estate 3mil - to me (NSW) & sibling A (VIC) & sibling B (WA). Sibling A (VIC) is executor & still living in fathers house but moving out soon. Sibling B (WA) unfortunately passed away early Jan & has no will /never married/no children - no property but shares& cash- I was the closest to him. After changing his mind Sibling A (on advice from executor solictor to protect his interests) now wants to be co-administrator with me. So I agreed eventhough Sibling B wouldnt want this. Apparently Sibling B share will be held in trust until his own estate can be wound up. In WA 50% of his estate goes to our mother in nursing home who doesnt have long to live & bal 25/25 with siblings left. I have EPOA for mother. How does that work ? This is really difficult to even talk about. So sad.

Cousinit likes this.
  2. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

You need to get some legal advice!

Rugrat and wylie like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

All very common questions and issues. Best to likely have a family solicitor involved so all three cases (incl Mum) can all be "on the same page" as sequential issues will arise.
    A EPOA lapses on death. Does Mum have a will ? If not, she may need one to simplify matters but if she isnt of sound mind maybe too late. You really dont want the public trustee involved. Same as Sibling B - No will may mean public trustee is going to be involved

Rugrat likes this.
  4. Single

Single Member

Thankyou for reply. Mum has no will. It seems to.be ammicable with Sibling A - both of us not wanting to pursue any legal disputes. Would solicitor of executotors of fathers estate be a conflict of interest to act on the cases although they have been working against me & sibling B. I made an enquiry in WA for a solicitor for sibling B estate to do paperwork for court etc & we organise docs for the process. Any suggestions much appreciated

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

There are SO many lessons in this story.

6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

make that QUALITY legal advice

but i don't live in NSW or even WA so can't point you at anyone

i suppose you can't achieve my strategy ... out-live all other possible claimants

BTW condolences for you loss (es )

7. twisted strategies

in my case despite clear evidence that wills were made the only one found was made in 1946 .. years before i was born , and all i had to do was be a blood relative ( and hire a quality lawyer )

it was crazy on my adventure and i didn't even resort to learning law

8. Single

Single Member

Thankyou for condolences. Taking one day at time.

9. twisted strategies

am still going through the papers and stuff ( 10 years later )

i hope you don't acquire a hobby like that ( but it has been profitable AND educational )

cheers

10. Single

Single Member

Oh gosh unusuall hobby but it sounds like your all ok about outcome etc. Good thing is me and sibling A want to move on with life.

11. Single

Single Member

I was thinking about your reply - using a family lawyer to handle Sibling A estate and also in the near future mothers estate. I feel.this is the best idea. If anyone has any recommendations for estate lawyer in VIC?

(Father/mothers estate is in VIC) I have started anything in WA as yet.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm not qualified to polish a solicitor's shoes but seek good legal advice. If your mother still has capacity, then get a will prepared (you may not be able to do this if she has dimentia/alzheimers etc), this will save heaps of time and resolving issues or dealing with Public Trustees.

13. twisted strategies

some goes back to pre-World War 1

i even found my great-grandfather's medal from the 1870's

my family ( on both sides ) had a history of intense litigation , so these where comparatively easy , even without recent wills ( that DO exist somewhere )

so being the last ( on the maternal side ) saved a lot of legal work

i was the black sheep of the family so never expected anything , so it was mostly pleasant surprises for my ( give or take the occasional family secret ( one estate was actually the accumulation of 4 estates and the other only 2 ), but will never need to buy another book of riddles again for entertainment

but death was basically part of the family there was a wave of deaths when i was born ( 2 years each side ) i think it was 14 of them , 12 when i was 14 , , the closest relatives now on the maternal side go back to 1840 in England ( and that branch still lives in England )

and the paternal side still hate me as they have done since the day i was named ( 3 days old ) but they live in NZ so never communicate with them since 1971 when i was over there to settle a different sets of estates on the paternal side ( father , grand father , great-uncle and some other details )

oh and a few disappeared in World War 2 ( and all trace seems to be lost probably in PNG of Asia or Japan )

but some interesting keepsakes to be sure

14. twisted strategies

yes i can only talk about QLD , but definitely avoid the Public Trustees if possible

PS STORE A COPY OF THE WILL SOMEWHERE THAT IT CAN BE FOUND ( leaving it in the custody of lawyers does NOT always work )

15. Single

Single Member

Thanks for the advice. I really have no idea of who is a quality lawyer in VIC. Unfortunately She doesn't have capacity to make a will. I thought you could do Letters of Admin and avoid Public Trustees?

16. twisted strategies

IN THEORY

if you have the EPOA and reliable witnesses ( in the eyes of the court ) present , a will could be made

even when you take it to a tribunal if someone disputes your EPOA .. it all depends on family relationships .

however theory and what happens if a dispute arises can differ dramatically ( even proper wills can be challenged if you have a good argument )

except for the last two estates ( one died in her sleep and the other in a care mislabeled 'non-compos mentis ' ) it has been where there is an estate there has been a legal stoush ( wills be damned )

my will will be simple i will leave a DNA sample , with the note ' prove you are related and fight for it ' ( they have for over 90 years ) why waste time with legalese and complicated provisions , that no-one will take on face value

i cannot help in Victoria either on lawyers , sorry i have barely even been over the Victorian border

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

An attorney cannot make a will

qak likes this.
  18. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

When people are queuing up to hand you their legacies, it is a blessing and a curse. :rolleyes: Can OP ask his/her Mom to set up a will while still capable?

Edit: ok, so she is no longer capable...

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've used this mob previously - linky

(I can only vouch for their conveyancing side)

Single likes this.
  20. Single

Single Member

Thanks everyone. I just found out I need to use a WA firm for brothers estate. I contacted a firm in VIC and they advised need to use WA firm but said I could use him to make sure deeds etc for fathers estate are looking after my interests & give advice on WA matter etc.