Deal too Good to be True

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 24th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

How do you use near map now? My subscription expired and they are not doing personal accounts anymore

Cactus likes this.
  2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

they brought back personal subscriptions a year or so ago, cheapest one is a bit limited in terms of data per month etc but from memory they did have one as cheap as $99/yr. rest were in the thousands annually

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I use sixmaps. Hi res and free too

4. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

They have recently stopped renewing this type of subscription.

5. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

You can know !!
    Get him to check it out anyway and see if he picks up ;)

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good idea, but I don't want to waste his time. What I will do in future is mention secondary locations and to identify any negatives ie next to schools, high voltage, main roads etc.

I will be flying to Melb in future during cooling off period, its not worth taking any risks

7. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Untitled.jpg
    don't know much about hv power lines.....i was looking at a property noticed the electricity poll within 4-5 meters of front door on nature strip attached. These types of high voltage lines you are referring to...

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

neK likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A better reference now is Google Earth with the globe plug in (from NSW government globe.nsw.gov.au) - proves sales data, lot/dp, land values, land sizes, zoning and more....

Skuttles, Gockie, neK and 1 other person like this.
  10. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

I just checked it out. It's pretty cool. Thanks! :)

11. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Y-man, sorry what exactly I'm looking at street directory for power lines....any specific symbols or something..

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Some things may still be difficult to spot when you're not looking no matter what viewer you're using:
    The picture below includes - power lines (on slender poles), sewer pondage, mobile phone tower all just across the road from housing.

upload_2016-9-4_22-19-7.png

13. The Y-man

Dashed black lines with black squares labelled "Tx" showing the tower number.

For example, have a look for Keon Park Station in Victoria.

The Y-man

S0805 likes this.
  14. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

The other issue with your site is that since they remove existing building, the sale will attract GST.

15. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I can't find such thing in area we are looking at. So from the image I added it seems it is standard electricity poll...is this perceived as bad thing when trying to sell?

16. The Y-man

That's a standard line. No issues.

The Y-man

S0805 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

These are the ones that get people afraid

construction-ehv-transmission-line-14-638.jpg
    electric towers.jpg

The Y-man

Big Will likes this.
  18. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Electromagnetic Fields and Cancer

Exposure from power lines. Although a study in 1979 pointed to a possible association between living near electric power lines and childhood leukemia (15), more recent studies have had mixed findings (1624). Most of these studies did not find an association or found one only for those children who lived in homes with very high levels of magnetic fields, which are present in few residences.

Several studies have analyzed the combined data from multiple studies of power line exposure and childhood leukemia:

• A pooled analysis of nine studies reported a twofold increase in risk of childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.4 μT or higher. Less than 1 percent of the children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (25).
    • A meta-analysis of 15 studies observed a 1.7-fold increase in childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.3 μT or higher. A little more than 3 percent of children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (26).
    • More recently, a pooled analysis of seven studies published after 2000 reported a 1.4-fold increase in childhood leukemia among children with exposures of 0.3 μT or higher. However, less than one half of 1 percent of the children in the studies experienced this level of exposure (27).
    Summary
    There is limited evidence for a weak link between intense and prolonged exposure to magentic fields and childhood leukaemia. To date a definitive link has not been demonstrated

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG.

I actually purchased a property that had high power voltage lines at rear main road, however they looked like normal power lines, had no clue until I subdivided the 2 blocks.... then shock, horror I suddenly had an easement on one of the blocks which was 5.2 metres across the rear, (high voltage easement), this land could not be used.

Still made a good profit, however I think this devalued the block by around $50K. Lesson learnt

Buyer beware.

20. The Y-man

@Big Will, it matters not what the truth is - it is how the public (renters and buyers) perceive it which determines the rent you get and the price you get (including valuations).

The Y-man

Perthguy and MTR like this.