Deagon, Darra, Rocklea and Strathpines

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Noobieboy, 19th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Would Deagon, Darra, Rocklea and Strathpines be concidered good areas in Brisbane? I’m currently reasearching these for potential property and would appreciate any input.

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Parts of Darra Flood....Rocklea becomes Riverfront property occaisionaly...that leaves you with Deagon...and Strathpine....I like the later because of the infrastructure and have one there....

Noobieboy likes this.
  3. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Why is infrastructure better at Strathpine better than Deagon?

Both have rail, however Deagon is closer to the Gateway and Bruce Highway, Brisbane city, airport and bayside.

So there I agree with Sash about the latter two suburbs, but not which one specifically.

4. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Parts of Deagon will have water issues as well - need to check the specific property.

5. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Agreed. Should be default due diligence for any property in Brisbane.

6. Noobieboy

Thanks guys. I am aware of need to check flood maps. At this stage just researching which suburbs are concidered better.

7. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Also consider the neighbouring suburbs around Deagon and Strathpine.

My recommendation are these two suburbs out of the four.

My preference would be for Strathpine, although I did go for a walk through Sandgate yesterday (suburb next to Deagon) and it's absolutely amazing to see it gentrify over the last 12months... lots more smaller dogs; cafes; boutique shops etc

Noobieboy likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't know about Deagon or Strathpine..
    Darra is next too Inala -All the shops near the railway station at Darra are Vietnamese and mostly the area is Vietnamese -investment wise it is one of those sleeper pockets investment wise good value..imho..

WE control property in Rocklea for over 25 years ,the down side is floods near the lower park area's ..The high ground areas along the railway line don't flood and a lot are zoned lmr small low key industrial small business..

Value wise prior too the 2011 floods they were in the 350k mark,just after the floods real estate agents were walking into the flooded houses, in gum boots to the properties and offering me 75k nice people and some did sell for 125k who lost everything and just could not cope with insurance not being paid--people stealing everything when the left the houses right down too the HWS copper pipes tapes ect,but now the price is around 400k entry level..
    Suncorp insurance with full any type of flood will start around 2-5,, 3 k,rent wise $320 up too $400 ,rates are low because of the low land value..Only my opinion but Rocklea is at the full value price range for this part of the cycle..imho..

Noobieboy likes this.
  9. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I've been interested in this area for the last few months.Totally agree that the prices are good value in Rocklea; its just weighing up the risk for me. Ive used this flood map when comparing streets:
    Flooding in Brisbane | Brisbane City Council
    It seems you pay a premium to get a house in the suburbs on the eastern side of Beaudesert dr that are less likely to flood (Sailsbury, Moorooka) vs Rocklea

10. Noobieboy

Thank you. I was a bit apprehensive about Darra due to its proximity to Inala. But I might be overthinking it.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Deagan still has some character homes, Strathpine doesn't.

12. Noobieboy

Arent character homes a sinkhole when it comes to maintenance? I thought they need to be repainted every 7 years (outside).

Seems like northside is winning.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where did you read that? Exterior paint these days comes with ten or fifteen years warranties, depending on brand and price-point.

If you buy an IP, it's potential capital growth will be affected, among other things, by how nice the suburb "feel" is. Strathpine will always be LSE, Deagan not quite as much. Deagon is getting serious gentrification and like Sandgate, professionals like character homes. This will always make it attractive to a HSE demographic. The Owner Occupiers will go for the larger, more expensive Character homes but as an investor you can still modernise a cheaper post-war house.

Deagon is in the BCC council area, Strathpine isnt. There is a price drop off the moment you step across the border, in each direction from the CBD.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Mum had a weatherboard house at Ashgrove, repainted every 10-12 years.

Painter told her to have the house washed down every year, as the build up of grime and pollutants etch into the paintwork. This greatly prolongs the time between exterior repainting.
    Marg

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Weatherboard is an absolute paint...about to spend 7k painitng a house inside and out. :(

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The painting issue with character homes is all the fiddly bits around the verandahs and staircases. Other weatherboard houses are very easy to repaint.

17. Noobieboy

I think it’s just me struggling to understand why anyone would prefer a character Home to any other Home. They might look a tiny tiny but better, but I would personally not give a flying $&@. As long as the roof doesn’t leak and it is where I leave and feel safe, it’s home.

By the way. Are all these suburbs safe?

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Have they eased the border controls.... :D

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

They are now. Mutant drop bears have been extinct for at least the past ten years. I believe they died out during the long drought that we had for the 25 years prior to the flood.

20. Noobieboy

Oh good. The drop bears all migrated to Druitt I hear. I don’t mind feral hipsters as much.