Technology & Social Media Deactivated Facebook

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Johnny Cashflow, 1st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Did it about a week ago.

Sick of wasting my time flicking through my phone at all the bullcrap that is known as Facebook.

Not gonna lie it has been a struggle not to sign back in and take a peek.

Wish me luck !

Last edited: 1st May, 2016
    Blacky, datto, Bran and 2 others like this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    have done it a couple years ago, to be honest i cannot remember what it was i was going on there for!

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

The trick is to only have things you like. Certain sporting updates, or hobbies, and close family. The rest is rubbish most of the time.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. markson

markson Well-Known Member

Property Chat is now taking over facebook for me :eek::eek: Seem to spend all my time on here ;)

5. Johnny Cashflow

A lot of people, including myself use it to fill in the time. But then it starts taking over most of your time and stopping you from getting things done.

Also I found myself using it in social situations to avoid talking to people, rarely but still did it. I can't stand when people half talk to you and half look at their phone.

mrdobalina, Joynz and jim1964 like this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I love it 'cause it lets me keep in touch with far flung family and friends ... but I did go thru it not long ago and culled almost half my "friends" list and most of the "pages I like"

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am not on FB, don't know what I am missing I guess and I don't care either.:)

Joynz likes this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think I could. I use it (like PC) to take a breather.

9. Johnny Cashflow

That's fair enough.

Some people just get addicted to stuff. And it's easier to just remove it all together then still have it available.

Alcohol for example I would never become addicted to but plenty are

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Thanks Johnny. I've been on the wagon for three weeks and now you mention that word. Gawd I need a beer right now....and then a ciggie..aarrghhhh.

11. Johnny Cashflow

Lol sorry mate!

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I'm one of those addictive types.

MTR likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've never really bothered with FB and only joined to access my old dancing school photos. Never ever looked at it but a month or so ago I discovered a buy, sell, swap group in an effort to cull some "stuff". Daily checking is imperative but I seem to be selling and buying in equal parts so I'm not really clearing much :eek::p.

I think I'll pull back a bit once I remove my sale adverts because I don't want to become too obsessed with it. I fill in time with property chat.

MTR likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nah, don't be sorry. I feel fantastic now. Good job.

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I do fancy a cull of poor performing "friends" :D
    A big tidy up and liking new pages is refreshing, surprisingly! I changed to follow new things and less rubbish (property, motivational dudes, science stuff etc ... smart stuff!:p) significantly redu ced the forehead slapping!

Gockie likes this.
  16. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I just disabled it from my phone. Still on the iPad, but stops Facebook during work hours.

17. House

House Well-Known Member

What, nobody else has great fun provoking random people on Facebook RE pages by defending rich and greedy investors, NG'ing, and housing unaffordability? You're missing out!

bob shovel and Tony Fleming like this.
  18. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Would never install it on my phone (I never install anything that wants access to contacts) but use it sometimes on the desktop. Once I deleted my account & went to join again 18 months later... everything was still there. The damn thing is flooded with rubbish people "like" and you cant disable that, so its pretty useless really, doesn't matter how many times you click "see fewer posts like this" (done that a thousand times) they keep coming back.

mrdobalina likes this.
  19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Wife did this a few years ago, now she just looks at mine lol.

I initially installed it for work (worked in the music industry), then it became a good way to reconnect with mates in the UK where I grew up, more recently it's been a really good tool to document my journey and adventures, almost like a live audience for my stories.

I have never let it take over my life, I check it in the morning if I can be bothered, occasionally at lunch and then most evenings I will spend 5 mins on it. Real life is so much more fun than reading about other peoples lives, especially those who post stupid status updates of "ARGHHHH!!!!!" and wait for the sympathy to roll on in.

20. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

God me too, it's all you guys that are the issue here, being so damn interesting keeps me coming back here all the time :p

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.