De Facto Help!!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MorganHB, 1st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Case by case basis. We look at initial contributions, start and end of relationship, financial and non financial contributions, future needs etc. @thatbum is right, get advice from a family lawyer.

The longer the relationship the more even the split is the general guideline but again, case by case basis.

Good luck.

MorganHB likes this.
  2. larrylarry

Full and frank disclosure is required. Lawyers are great in sniffing out these things. ;)

3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I think this is a great strategy - that way, if things do end up heading south later on, and it comes time to 'split the asset pool', it may be more likely that you'll be able to agree on a "you keep your stuff and I'll keep my stuff" scenario, if the value of each person's stuff is acceptable to each person at that time.

Trying to sell-then-split-the-proceeds from jointly-held assets (or having to sell yours to pay her the 'required share') gets very messy and expensive. If you can avoid this, it would be great (financially, and emotionally, as it can be much quicker to severe all ties).

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Marry her!
    Tell her she is the love of your life, and mean it, and that she brings you joy!
    I hope this helps!

Last edited: 1st May, 2017
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I met hubby in 1970, married in 1972.

When we came home from our honeymoon, we had exactly $135 in the bank. (We had bought and were paying off a block of land.)

The agreement is clear, any time one of us wants out, we can take our half of the $135 and $&@&$ off!
    Marg

6. MorganHB

MorganHB Well-Known Member

Thanks @larrylarry She has actually started up her own business recently and whilst she has done a lot of the work herself, i have pitched in by using my reno skills ;) with setting up lighting, building IKEA cabinets and lots of driving around sydney fetching stuff...She's only ever come to one property that i inspected...and later bought.
    but of course, getting advice from a Family Lawyer is key.
    Cheers mate.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No, I meant during the relationship. Once you break up and it turns nasty you would have to disclose, but if they think you don't have much they will be less likely to get nasty.

8. larrylarry

Gotcha. Hope all is well with you.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

You've ticked all the boxes beautifully, particularly the "get some legal advice box". It's funny how the punters with most to lose are least inclined to spend a dollar to protect their assets.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Oh they all want to spend money after the relationship breaks down. Thats the problem

11. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I like this tip - It was already next on my list, once she's full-time in secure position at end of the year will be looking for her to buy ASAP.

Terry_w likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Call me a sexist pig but it's interesting how it's usually women with far less in assets and savings.

Girls do better at school. Girls do better at uni. No gender pay gap.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Positively surprised the advice coming from a lawyer...... I would never have thought of the "judt helping her paint the house" type of social media posts

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how they do a 180 when it involves money. And another turn when their friends and family start saying "take him to the cleaners" every coffee/wine meetup

15. MorganHB

MorganHB Well-Known Member

dear god :eek:

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ones i dont like ask for advice on how to rework income so they dont pay child support. I wont do that. End of meeting.

Never been asked by a female i will say

wylie likes this.
  17. Terry_w

Why surprise - just common sense structuring.

18. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Yep! This happened to my uncle. 20 years of marriage and she still took him to the cleaners... and then some.

There's something painfully demoralising about watching everything you've worked so hard for all your life get taken away.

kierank likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is this why some people choose to keep their own place and sleepover less than 50% of the year?

20. Terry_w

Social reasons possibly as there is no legal basis for this.

I had a friend who used to charge his girlfriend $1 per week rent on the basis that someone told him that if she was a tenant she could not make a claim against him. No legal basis to this - well if she was a genuine tenant there may have been.