Day care centre proposed next to my house Yokine Western Aust.

Discussion in 'Development' started by EddyB, 16th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EddyB

EddyB New Member

Just received a letter from the city of Stirling about about a proposed 79 place day care centre next to my rental property in Yokine. I am hugely worried that it will greatly devalue the property and as i lease it as rental, who in their right mind would rent a house next to a day care centre with 79 screaming children. Vehicles pulling into the centre driveway at 6.30am. So the rental return will also go futher down in an already depressed market.

I have 14 days to lodge my complaints, but from research council doesn't really seem to take great concern for what the property value (only when it comes to generating GRV from the valuer generals office)

It was going to be my retirement fund as it is a 1012sqm block, where i was going to knock the old house down and put up three units. But if i have a 79 place centre next door the rental returns will be hugely effected.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to lodge a successful objection.

Thanks.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Westminster has objections lodged against her I think so may be able to advise on which objections work with council and which ones don't.

EddyB likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Jack the rent up and advertise your IP as the the ideal place for the working family with many young kids.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. Perthguy

What is the zoning there? Residential? Or some kind of mixed use?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Lol the things I'm famous for :p

Is the letter a change of use notification or a DA community consultation letter where it tells you the things that they are non compliant on and see feedback/opinions from neighbours?

If it's the one where it talks about non compliant issues then you would object based on those non compliance items. Ie it says "centre has 1.1m setbacks on south side instead of 1.5m as per the rcodes" then you would say you object as the insufficient setbacks create overshadowing, noise tunnels, blah blah

If it's just a notification letter for change of use then you'll need to generally object in regards to traffic control, parking issues, noise

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Tell them you’ve just leased your property for 10 years to a registered sex offender.

MRO, datto and Westminster like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Water the front garden in a pair of g strings.

Do this at the busiest times of the day.

Don't forget to wave, smile and bend over to pull out any weeds. lol.

8. Perthguy

I was thinking the same. Traffic, noise, parking. The town planny type people call it amenity and orderly and proper planning.

So have a general whinge about noise and traffic then add:

- the scale and intensity of the development are out of character for a residential area
    - the development is likely to be detrimental to the amenity of the locality
    - approval of the child care would set an undesirable precent for future applications that are out of character with the area and likely to be detrimental to the amenity of the locality
    - for these reasons, approval of the child care centre would not be consistent with orderly and proper planning

Yes, I read a lot of council reports. lol

9. EddyB

EddyB New Member

Thanks for your reply it's a DA community consultation letter. They have addressed the supposed issues with noise, traffic, planning. They have employed consultants and created multiple reports addressing each criteria in the councils planning requirements. Flinders street is not an ideal address for any home as the traffic is ridiculous. 10 years ago i was hoping that they would allow commercial development on my side of the street, as there is a small shopping strip 100m down the road on the opposite. I will perhaps talk to the council and see what options i have. The developers are just an investment group (not really interested in the upbringing of children), so they have really picked the sweet spot. Childcare centres are the commercial building you can have in residential zoned areas. If i were to apply for a small 2-3 storey retail / apartment development i am positive i would get knocked back. However i did like the other above suggestions. My first option was a Brothel with my logo "it's a Business doing pleasure with you". Other idea's were a half way house for teenage drug user rehabilitation, a half way house for serial sex offenders.

Perthguy likes this.