Cars & Motorbikes Dash Cams - Anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bbmick, 21st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

No dash cam thread can be complete without this... ... particularly towards the end. Whilst the rider clearly has a death wish, there's no denying his nuts are larger than Maddox's (My balls are huge.) or Randy from South Park's medicinal fried nuts.

bob shovel likes this.
  2. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

It's not just the Russians that make good crash cam viewing.
    Came across these Aussie ones in my searching for a cam.
    Dash Cam Crash Compilations |

3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I got an iRoad front and rear set up. Use it for trackday footage mostly as well as daily driving.

Wasn't cheap at $699 fitted but has all the goodies including GPS.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you mean with a phone app or an physical device?

5. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

A lot of dash cams have either built-in or optional GPS that record your moving co-ordinates & speed - this is added to the actual video file (it does not give directions).

Davothegreat
    is correct about whether you want that info recorded on your video files or not as it might prove you were speeding - not helpful for use as evidence in a crash situation or perhaps reveal your location if you publish online. I suspect I will go without GPS even though I ordered GPS with my unit - I should get delivery tomorrow - just enough time to get it going for our road trip leaving this weekend :D

I ended up ordering the one I mentioned at the start of thread ie: Viofo A119.
    Most of the others mentioned so far have been above my price wish of sub $200. This will be my first testing of these things so didn't want to splurge too much.

6. Davothegreat

@Azazel I was referring to GPS builtin to dashcams like mine but the same applies to a phone app if it happens to log your speed. Best to review some of your footage to see what really shows up.

As bbmick mentioned, you don't want to end up in the poo when providing evidence for an incident where you weren't at fault just because 30 seconds earlier you happened to put your foot down. Even if the two are unrelated, I wouldn't put it past your insurance to use it as an excuse to not cover you - they're run by lawyers after all and if you break the law you void your insurance.

7. Davothegreat

Anyone seen the Car Crash TV series that's on Discovery Turbo at the moment? Either some of those incidents are staged or far out there's some shocking drivers in Russia.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Cause they're all rushin! ;)

Davothegreat and Colin Rice like this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ah Ok, I've never had one.
    Makes sense with the example given by @Davothegreat

10. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Got back from our 5,000 kms road trip last weekend :D

The new dash cam worked flawlessly - taking many hours of boring footage as expected.
    In fact, I stopped recording at a few stages coz I didn't have enough time to transfer files to my lappy.
    Looks like I'll only keep a few select files showing some of the areas we visited.

From now on, I'll just leave it going non stop looping and keep any stuff I happen across ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

How does that work, do you set it to copy over stuff that's a certain amount of time old?

12. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

I believe that most recent dash cams work like mine (but could be wrong).

They record continuously - but it is not one long file. Mine can record in several time lengths. Initially I set mine to 3 mins but it is now 5 mins. This means you get a long list of 5 mins files with a lot of different time stamps - helps locating a particular time. Once you fill the sd card up it will overwrite oldest files first.

In addition, if the cam thinks you had a crash or incident (it has a sensor to detect sudden movements or g forces) it will lock those files so can't be overwritten by mistake.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's pretty handy.
    They've come a long way. I was checking out EyeSight® Driver Assist System

14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Installed my dashcam and super happy with the result. By that I mean I've almost totally forgotten that I have one :) The SG9665GC is quite small and being all black helps it disappear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wired it up with a mini fuse tap from Jaycar, using a spare slot that was switched with the ignition. That means it only runs while the car is running, but that's enough for me.