Cars & Motorbikes Dash Cams - Anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bbmick, 21st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

So I'm doing about 5,000 kms road trip soon & was thinking of getting a dash cam.

Does anyone have them?
    Bad or good experiences?
    What should I steer clear of?

I want to spend less than $200

Thinking of getting the VIOFO A119 (with GPS) so any experience with that would be great - although it's fairly new so maybe nobody has it.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

In a 5,000 klm road trip, there will be a lot of monotonous stretches. Do you really want to look at them again?

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I just got a Street Guardian SG9665GC, was $235 shipped. Basically an upgraded version of the one you're looking at.

Street Guardian SG9665GC

Yet to install it, the car it's going in is currently undergoing pre-delivery inspection at the dealership :) Have tested it hand-held though and really impressed with the ease of use and the image quality, especially in low light.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

after watching this I am really thinking of getting a dash cam.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes, I dunno the brand though, hubby took care of that
    Cost about $270 - you want a good one that can handle the heat in the car when you left it in parking space

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It's that "one off" that will make it worth it. ..hopefully not to nasty though there's some crazy dash cam stuff out there

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have used a few but only use them in the city,, with the way bike lanes works these red light runners tailgaters prople on iphone walking blind..
    A few interstate I know drivers use a Visiondrive VD-8000HDS they handle in car summer temp's and will stand up to a civil proceeding if you intend immunity from civil liability..Visiondrive VD-8000HDS,5000 klms on a round Australia trip you would want to have one just in case..

Not sure what camera this AMG is using but it seems too handle the balance 100% at 280klm's..

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The put a chill up my spine. I did exactly that when I was about 12. Got off a bus from the front door and saw my connecting bus across the road. I darted out and a car hit me. I remember it was a light blue Holden Kingswood. Some people helped me off the road and the driver was very upset. I told him I was okay and he left, but he would have been in shock, too. The police came to the hospital to see me and told me they got the guy for hit and run. I'm glad I had the chance to clear that up and tell them that he didn't run.

Perthguy, Joynz and Pumpkin like this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

10. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I bought the 'G1W-CB 1080p Black Stealth Capacitor Dashcam' from everbuying.net
    Its a decent dashcam for around 50 bucks.

11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Vicovation Marcus 4 - DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA

Dash cams Australia, also come with a year warranty on all products. If you have issues with parts or camera they can send you out another. It's an Australian company and will give you honest reviews of all the cameras as they have been tested. Some cameras you purchase can actually melt in the summer weather, so best to avoid certain brands. You can also Google best cameras.
    Make sure your picture is high definition and a quality recorder. Some cameras say they are, but when you watch back the footage, you can't make out the cars number plates in front of you.

I've got the vicovation Marcus 2, used for 2 years. There's newer models out at the moment. Been awesome for 2 years, only issue was after a week of super hot weather in Melbourne Summer as the car was parked out in the sun for a few days. The attachment point to the windscreen became loose. Easy fix and they will send you another.
    The picture is extremely clear, I can make out all number plates in front, and at night it's pretty good too.
    The camera allows you to mute the volume so no one can hear the audio if you choose, and you can also turn off the speed your travelling too. This is important incase of an accident. Say for example you were travelling 65 in a 60 zone prior to an accident, if your camera records this then your claim can be void even if it's not your fault.
    Some cameras will not let you turn the speed off.

The newer models are better still.

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2016
  12. bob shovel

More importantly where's the trip taking you @bbmick ?business or pleasure?

13. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Pleasure :)
    Vic to Qld & Back - Sunshine Coast, Brissy, Gold Coast, Nelson Bay maybe Pambula Beach on the way back. Might even spend an hour driving around Logan etc. Quick visit with the relo's while we're at it.

Perthguy, Pumpkin and bob shovel like this.
  14. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Yep exactly.

Not wanting to record the whole trip.....gets loop recorded anyway. Just in case of accidents.....thought might be a little fun to see what crazies are out there as well.

Was recently teaching the teens to drive and would have come in handy for recording what not to do.

bob shovel likes this.
  15. Nikolina

Nikolina Active Member

16. bob shovel

Nice part of the world! Are you going up the coast through Sydney or inland quickest route?
    If you have a 4wd i recommend noosa north shore and up to rainbow beach on the beach if you're up that far

17. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

No 4x4, so no beach driving, although that will come after the missus retires in a couple years & we buy the said 4x4 ;)

This is one of our first excursions..................kid-less :D

Inland up & coast down - done the trip a few times before.

Was born in Nambour & most my relo's up there - even my Mum up there now after moving all us kids down south in the 70's.

bob shovel likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I have it on good authority that some people have them.
    An inordinate number of Russians for some reason.

Davothegreat and bbmick like this.
  19. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I have the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH in both of our cars. Hard wired with the Blackvue Power Magic Pro in my Lexus and the Vico Power thing in the wife's car. I chose the Blackvue over the Vico and Lucas models only because it's smaller and not much else was going to fit behind the mirror in the Lexus. Makes for a tidy install.

If you care about video quality then downgrade the firmware to 1.9, then the bitrate increases significantly. The later 2.x firmwares that enable the cloud crap are locked to a lower bitrate in order to keep the files smaller. I found that out from Blackvue support.

+1 Dash Cams Australia - their support is pretty decent, prices are good and they ship quickly.

bbmick likes this.
  20. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Whatever you install, remember to think about whether you really want GPS and your speed to be logged... most cameras support turning the speed recording off. Just sayin' ;-)

bbmick likes this.