Darwin unit

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by annaw5599, 21st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

as the market continues to drop in Darwin I'm unsure whether to hold out or sell. Anyone have predictions on how bad Darwin will get ?? I have a 2x2 apartment in the city. Purchased as a PPOR in early 2012 for $485000 - I'd say current value would be about that now. It's currently locked at 4.19% for another 18 months or so. Body corporate costs and rates are around $7000 a year (up significantly from when we purchased). Rented atm $590 a week. We didn't really mean to get into investing but it now interests me enough to jump on here... I'm just not sure whether we keep holding and hope there isn't even more doom and gloom to come or put it on the market to sell ... darwins population growth seems very flat and with all the construction of inner city dwellings when I was there in April still going on... I think massive oversupply is going to be an ongoing problem. I know most of you aren't across Darwin market much... but if anyone is ... Thoughts ?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Massive future oversupply combined with high strata and rates... I'd look to sell.

MTR likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its the beginning of the downturn, sell cut your losses, sit tight and watch the market closely. It will be cheaper to rent.

MTR:)

Colin Rice likes this.
  4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Tough call.
    You'd be very lucky to get your 485k back now.
    I suspect you may well be looking at 400k or even below. However, a slick agent may be able to help.

There are lending restrictions in place from most lenders in the Darwin CBD, which makes it harder for any potential buyer to get finance.

However there is some good news. It's almost certain that there will be a change of government coming in a week or two. One of their main policies is to greatly reduce stamp duty and reintroduce some sort of grant for first home buyers.

If this happens, it will be your best opportunity to sell for a long while.

Good luck with your decision!

5. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

Tough call for sure ! Just lookong at costs and it's probably neutrally geared. One sold recently for $500000 in our complex in March this year - also 2 bedder... I hope it hasn't gone down $100000 since then ! Recent valuation was $480000.

Gockie likes this.
  6. Gockie

Ps. I think you might be lucky to be getting the rent you are receiving.... in 12 months it maybe lower...

7. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Have you considered the break costs for the fixed rate?

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

9. Gockie

10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

11. annaw5599

annaw5599 Active Member

Saw that thanks ... Thinking will monitor for a while and then chat with our mate who owns Ray White up there ... see what his thoughts are .... It's furnished... which is why I think we have been lucky with tenants too and still getting very decent rent. Lots of transient people up there looking for somewhere furnished in the city for a year or so

12. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

This is typical with OTP purchase that others need to factor into purchase decisions.

Did you buy OTP or established?