Darwin- Accountant

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Darwin55, 16th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a Darwin based accountant?

I've got two rentals I need advice with.

Thanks

2. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

An accountant wouldn't need to be based in Darwin, I suppose. I have never needed one, but from what I hear, I'd rather shop for an accountant on this forum than in Darwin.

Nlang likes this.
  3. Nlang

Nlang Well-Known Member

What Aussie B said!!!!!!! Find a good accountant not one in Darwin!!!!!

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Duncan Bell at http://www.dnbell.com.au/

This man is a legend. He makes the character of the Lincoln Lawyer come to life.
    100% personality.

Duncan loves his bike, music and a drink and not always in that order.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sim I just clicked on your link. I think the term accountant may be inappropriate as the only people who can Lodge tax returns are tax agents. Many accountant are tax agents but not all and many tax agents are not accountants.

I am neither so no effect on me personally.

7. Paul@PAS

And many lawyers are tax agents (but not all) but unless registered with the TPB then they cannot provide tax agent services (ie lodge forms and calculate a tax liability etc) but they can advise on tax laws provided they hold a practising certificate and are competent (eg Law Society). And accountants cant advise on many of those same taxing laws. And some accountants wont even know about tax laws if they didnt attain qualifications in tax law and get TPB registered. And some accountants and some lawyers may also be registered with ASIC and therefore licensed to advise on Corporations Act laws and regulations BUT the accountant can only address some of them and not all of them as they can only advise on company promotion. But some accountants may be liquidators and hence a court officer for the purposes of those same laws. But in some areas of Corporations law a financial adviser is affected but cant give advice. But financial advisers are also required to be registered with the TPB to give ancillary tax advice to financial advice but they cant fill in forms or advise on tax liabilities other than to estimate a tax liability specific to financial advice services. But accountants technically cannot give either general advice unless they hold a limited license. Those with a full license are not actually tax services but are then financial services so they may hold both qualifications and in which case can give product financial advice. And the term accountant is unregulated so anyone can be called an accountant and may or not be a member of a professional body and hold a practice certificate - Which wont be needed under any law relating to tax agent services as such. But such a qualification and experience is needed to get the TPB qualification.

Which brings me to the question - What is a BAS agent ? Oh I give up.

Confused ? Me too.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Like Paul said :eek:

I stand by my categorisation :p

Do your own due diligence as to whether your chosen adviser is licensed to give the advice you seek.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What about 'tax advisers'?

10. Paul@PAS

Tax consultant is a term that gets misuse

I tell someone how not to pay so much tax. I'm a tax adviser. I show them how to do so using a scheme I'm a tax consultant until get I caught+ penalised by the ATO and then I'm not longer a tax agent (!!) but I'm now a tax scheme promoter.