Dark, coloured curtains vs light, neutral ones

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by KayTea, 24th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

It's my first time renovating an IP, so I'm trying to ensure that I'm catering to the greatest number of potential tenants (and not just my own preferences). From what I've read, staying away from verticals is the way to go. Based on the positions and sizes of the windows, pull down blinds are going to work, so I'm going with curtains (I'm pretty sure that @wylie advocated the benefits of IKEA curtains for IPs some time ago.....).

I'll be putting very neutral, off-white curtains in the bedrooms, the lounge room is causing me some grief. This space cops the full eastern morning sun (in SE QLD - where it can be 30+ before 8am in summer), and I'm having trouble making a decision. I'm looking at putting a sheer privacy curtain in, but will definitely need to put a more solid/thicker curtain in front (especially for the heat in summer).

As far as I can ascertain, here are the positions for dark (was looking at a plain dark/navy blue, as dark grey won't go with the carpet, black is too harsh, and the dark browns are now seen as quite 'dated') vs light curtains, being used in a space that has off white walls and quite dark carpet:

DARK - pros
    * blocks out a lot of the light (easier to watch tv etc) and heat
    * less likely to get dirty
    * doesn't just blend in with the walls, so it adds a bit of interest/pop, but without the busyness of patterns etc

DARK - cons
    * as navy is not a neutral colour, people may be put off renting the place if it doesn't match their current lounge suite/rugs etc

LIGHT/NEUTRAL- pros
    * easier to match or not conflict with most furnishings

LIGHT/NEUTRAL- cons
    * won't block out as much light or heat
    * likely to get dirtier more easily

Any advice?

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Dark curtains in the full morning sun will fade quite quickly unless you get sun proof linings, which can be expensive. Otherwise fading will be uneven due to folds in the closed curtains.
    Marg

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Can you not put in block out roller blinds in a pale colour to keep out the majority of the light/heat and then some sort of more ornamental curtain around that if you must?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd go with light colours. If the tenants want something different, it is up to them to swap them for another colour or style, or even weight.

KayTea likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Joynz likes this.
  6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Much will depend if you live in a state with Daylight Savings. Probably best to go the light/faded look first up rather than being disappointed after a couple of years.

pinkboy

KayTea and Westminster like this.
  7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I hate trying to mount roller blinds myself, as they have to fit exactly. At least curtains have some flexibility.

Joynz likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Re: colour

The inside colour is immaterial - what is important is that they are good quality, sunblock curtains.

The room darkening and thermal protection effect is not related to the colour of the curtains - it is due to the coating on the back of the fabric.

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2017
    Kassy, samiam and KayTea like this.
  9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I second Joynz post. We have dark curtains in our bedroom and light neutrals in the lounge room, both rooms west facing and the sun block is the same.

KayTea likes this.
  10. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Ok - looks like it's going to be light coloured. I'll grab a paint swatch, and do a Spotlight run (their blockout ones appear better than IKEA's, due to the eyelet tops - easy to hang and less damage done when sliding them on the rod).

Lizzie, Kassy and wylie like this.
  11. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

I went with dark for a place I did recently, purely for all the pro's you've already listed :) Agent also suggested to go dark/block-outs as well.

12. SherW

SherW Member

You should choose the curtain according to the living room furniture. If you think that the dark curtains will block the sunlight. Then you are wrong. All dark curtains won't block the sunlight efficiently. Better choose thermal curtains to control the room temperature.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia