Damages from water leak from above unit

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by SSen, 30th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SSen

SSen New Member

My tenant was overseas for couple of weeks and returned home to find a leak from the unit above through the ceiling to the kitchen which had damaged part of kitchen cupboards, kitchen bench and floor.

When informed strata, they arranged an emergency plumber to attend to leak and and now completed the repairs.

Now we have to ascertain what other works are required to bring the unit back to the original condition.

Who is responsible for the damages caused to kitchen cupboards, kitchen bench and wooden floor by the water leak from above? Is strata responsible for the damages caused by the leak in my unit.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In the first instance, your contents insurance.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Have a look at your Building Insurance. If you can establish that it’s caused by the structure, it might cover your cupboards.

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

How did the leak occur from the unit above? Were they doing a reno, and, if so, was it authorised by the Strata Committee or at an OC General Meeting, or not?

5. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

In theory it should be the Strata Insurance, but rarely will they fix damage inside your apartment. In fact, I've never been able to convince them personally. They did fix the originating problem but after arguing and arguing a very uncooperative strata manager that they should also be responsible for the damage inside my apartment as well, I gave up and claimed through my landlord insurance as that was easier. 5 days later the money was my account. Not right but I wasn't getting anywhere with them.

6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Fixtures: should be strata insurance policy as it includes fixtures at least for the kitchen cupboards. etc.

Floors are probably your contents policy including floating floors.

But I would submit a claim to the strata insurer in the first case and go from there. Personally, I would take the initiative and manage it directly with them unless your strata committee is competent.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Your strata manager appearing uncooperative is possibly because their role is to take instructions from the strata committee.

Get the committee involved in your issues, and they will give instructions to the strata manager on how the matter should be addressed.

The Secretary of your Committee would be a good place to start.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Generally, damages within the apartment are your responsibility (though logic would say it's not my problem). Let your insurer fight it out, much quicker.

I recall one instance many years ago, waterleak damaged original wall paper in a unit. BC decided sad a one-off to pay but it was not their responsibility sad it is inside the unit.

9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

It would be a combination of your own insurance and strata insurance depending on what covers what. Your insurance would then chase them to recover.

- Andrew

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia