Damage to my property from common property leak

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by LibGS, 27th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this. There is a leak from outside my IP apartment, that caused damage to my apartment. I got a plumber out and and they've said it is a "poor workmanship" fault in external flashing. My insurance does not cover "poor workmanship".

Here is what the 1st investigation found:
    • Arrived onsite to investigate dampness in the bedroom and the robe.
    • On inspection of the outside wall that backs onto the robe/bedroom I noticed multiple issues.
    • The capping flashing on top of the brick work is poorly sealed and water escapes under this.
    • The vent on the brickwork is also poorly sealed.
    • The flashings at ground level are poorly sealed and hav e large gaps where water gets into. There are run marks on the brick work indicating that every time it rains this s the run off point.
    • The dirt is sitting just below the flashing which is higher than the floor level inside. The wall should be painted with a tar protection and also have an aggregate pipe running along the outside of this wall to prevent water from entering the property.
    The OC got these repairs done, but we were expected to pay for the internal repairs.

A tradie turned up to fix the internal plaster and found that the area was wet and he is convinced that there is another leak. It now turns out there might another leak from another apartment above.

The PM has been in contact with the OC who don't seem to want to get involved. Does this sound right? Who should I be chasing on this?

thanks in advance

2. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Based on what you've told us, you should confirm that a leak still exists (as much as possible) and then push the OC to deal with the situation.

How long has it been since the last leak was repaired?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  3. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

The outside leaks were fixed 6 days ago. I'll talk to the PM to push the OC to fix this.

thanks