Damage to laundry cupboard

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by AliceS, 15th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AliceS

AliceS Member

Hi fellow owners. My partner and I own a unit in Melbourne that has been leased for a couple of years to what I thought were pretty good tenants. They are moving out and have advised the property manager of what they are saying is a maintenance issue. The unit has a euro-laundry (in a large cupboard) that has a sink next to the washer/dryer area. It looks like the sink area chipboard under the veneer has swelled up and replacement is probably the only option (which will likely be expensive). The tenants have told the property manager that the humidity from the the dryer has caused this and therefore it's not their fault because the fan is not efficient when the laundry doors are closed. I'm not convinced that humidity alone could cause this so I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and how it is going to play out, especially with the recent changes in the tenancy laws?

2. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Wear and tear - it could be caused by tenants leaving stagnant water but honestly chipboard benches tend to do that when they are of poor quality. Not very expensive to replace

3. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Have you got a photo? It sounds like wear and tear, I doubt you could pin this on the tenants. Won't cost more than $300-400 to fix

4. AliceS

AliceS Member

The unit is only 5 years old and the laundry bench was in perfect condition before they moved in. Would they be potential responsible if they didn't keep up the cleaning of lint from the exhaust fan and allowed humidity to build up?

twisted strategies likes this.
  5. transit

transit Well-Known Member

I doubt it's caused by humidity, sounds like water damage caused by bad workmanship. You need to post a photo

6. AliceS

AliceS Member

Her is a pic I was sent. You can see how the chipboard has swelled up. I have not got any quotes yet but I cant see how this could only cost us a few hundred - the whole bench top will need to be replaced.

Attached Files:

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd say bad build/design + wrong material

It's a wet area - it's the same as putting chipboard around your kitchen sink - it's going to absorb water and swell up.

The Y-man

8. AliceS

AliceS Member

So you are saying it's not worth trying to fight to get the cost of fixing this back from their bond?

9. Zepth

Zepth Well-Known Member

To claim from their bond you would have to prove it was caused by their negligence. Do you honestly believe you would be able to do this based on the limited evidence you have?

10. AliceS

AliceS Member

It's our first IP, so maybe I'm a bit naïve regarding the purpose of rental bond. I always thought there was an expectation for the place to be returned in the same condition (less genuine wear-and-tear) that it was leased in.

11. The Y-man

Correct.

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

Yes - and what we are saying is that it is part of genuine wear and tear - because the it looks like the original build/material was dodgy (or would be hard/expensive to prove otherwise). A burn mark in the shape of an iron on the carpet or hole in the door is much easier to claim.

Tenants can do a lot of "wear and tear" than a home owner. We've pretty much allowed for the fact that a property will need a full repaint and re-carpet - and possibly a new kitchen stove - every tenant change

The Y-man

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Is it a washer dryer combo, or seperate units ?
    If it's a dryer it should be vented, if it's a combo unit (hydronic) then it shouldn't steam up.

If the top is gone what does the remaining cabinetry look like ?

That sort of swelling is more likely from water contact not moisture (given it was fine for the first 3 years and it is wrecked in the 2 the tenants have been there).

How is the bathroom ceiling?
    If they can't leave the laundry door open for some airflow when drying they probably don't know you need the flick the "fan swith" when showering either !

Better to wear the cost and replace it with something better (reconstituted stone maybe).

Edit: I don't think it has swelled, just that the laminate verneer has come off and they have done a s #it job of trying to glue it back on !

Last edited: 15th Apr, 2021
  14. AliceS

AliceS Member

They (tenants) have a front loading washer and an old looking dryer. They have young kids and apparently use the dryer constantly. The dryer is not directly vented into the wall or anything like that, but there is a fan in the ceiling of the euro-laundry-cupboard that is triggered by turning the light on. They are saying that they always leave the fan on but doors closed (to reduce noise) but believe that the fan in the ceiling is not efficient enough to stop the space becoming humid. If the fan has decreased in efficiency its probably because they did not clean it often enough (would be lots of lint in the air).

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looks like the veneered egdgestrip has failed & peeled off.

The fan should be on whenever the washer or dryer is used not a light.

It's poor design.

Is there a filter on the exhaust?

16. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

aagh !! the chipboard in 'wet areas' trap . i am very sad to say this was inevitable , it MIGHT be the tenants , it MIGHT be unusual weather in MIGHT be adhesive failure on the veneer

but the sad fact is chipboard should NEVER be used in places liable to be persistently damp .. but it is routinely , check and see if insurance covers it

and DEFINITELY check out a superior product as a replacement , ( maybe think about a fan replacement or you MIGHT develop a mold/mildew issue as well .. that can be a REAL pain and potential health issue )

similar issues yes !!! one of my many temp jobs , has been exit cleans/rubbish removal , i have seen it too often to count ( it has also happened to me as a renter )

but maybe i am biased because i prefer solid timber ( not sawdust , or match-wood )

also since THIS problem has arisen you may as well check the kitchen ( closely ) , bathroom and even any built-ins in the garage , there is some chance they are on the way out as well

i would argue substandard construction , but from what i have seen standards aren't standards ( all the time )

Phoenix Pete and The Y-man like this.
  17. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

don't feel bad it happens to veteran landlords as well , but many learn to be pedantic ( even paranoid ) before they settle the buy contract ..

'fair wear and tear' is an interesting concept as well , a busy family can be an absolute terror on doors and windows as well ( without being abusive to the fittings )

18. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Alice,
    congrats on your investment!
    could I suggest that you put his one down to experience?
    Lesson learned.
    perhaps you might be able to claim on your tax( I'm not a tax person, !)
    When you do replace this, make sure the replacement is good enough quality that it wont be an issue in future?
    I hope this helps

19. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Nope. Tenants are responsible for damage they intentionally or negligently cause.

Generally any change or deterioration in the condition of the property is a maintenance issue.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s a terrible photo. Get them to take one from further back to put things in context.

It does not look like swelling - it does look like the veneer edging has fallen off. That’s a super easy and cheap fix.

You should probably get an externally ducted vent for the drier in this laundry cupboard, if possible. Imagine the usage in a Melbourne winter ...and the steam!

Also, with bench tops consider getting the moisture resistant board in future (chipboard/particleboard is fine if it’s moisture resistant).

But it really doesn’t look swollen to me...