Damage and repairs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by melbourne171, 24th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

My property manager has just automatically passed all tenant maintenance requests to me without inspection or investigation. I asked her how she can decide if the damages is normal wear and tear or tenant misuse, she replied that it is hard and suggested let the tradies to determine it. Obviously, the PM never wants to visit the IP to justify the tenant or landlord's responsibility. As a result, i received maintenance requests monthly for both IPs managed by this PM. Tenants use this to avoid compensation at the lease end. My other IPs do not have such many maintenance.

What the best approaches to deal with this PM? Should I report to Principal Manager/Agency Owner?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Change PM.

The Y-man

thydzik, Archaon and wylie like this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don’t get what you would rather though? That they make decisions without consulting you?

I’d prefer my PM pass on those things to me.

Bradley Peet and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Do you have an example of the damages that might be considered normal wear and tear?

I would assume the PM would charge a fee for attending the property and investigating, so if it it something relatively minor it is probably just cheaper to get the relevant trade to sort it out in the first place.

As tenant I tend to just leave all the 'minor' maintenance issues until something bigger needs sorting and then address them all.at once.
    Perhaps the tennants are just fussy?

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are they frivolous matters or do they require investigation? It is your asset and not a hands-off investment (like shares where you have no say in what happens).

What have you set the PM's financial delegation at ie is it $0?

What is the state of the property (budget/cheap/liveable/exec rental/prestige/average/median etc) - each has different expectations.

When was the last time the PM inspected the property? Were there any alarm bells or items requiring maintenance?

Are the items of a nature that you can do them with a handyman every few months?

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's impossible for us to give you a useful opinion without more context. What sort of maintenance items are they asking for repairs? Something like smashed glass and holes in the walls warrants further investigation, but a faulty stove plate or rotten timber railing would obviously not be tenant responsibility.

Also, What sort of condition are these homes in compared to your other properties?- A few years back I had a client who was upset that their houses required some form of minor maintenance every couple of months over a period of about two years. Every single time I had to remind them that they bought old houses below market value with piles of deferred maintenance (that they knew about) and had chosen not to fix any of it before tenanting them. We eventually got on top of everything and the houses have been great for the last couple of years.

craigc and Stoffo like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I detest being passed on such things, PM is my filter, if they do good reports and I visit every other year ir so, that is good.

Many agents think just taking thier cut and forwarding emails is the job, they are the same kind that often do no tenant checks, get a PM that suits you after you weigh up if your being reasonable or not.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.