Daily update on Share Market

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by luke83, 8th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

So, like everyone else, i want to buy low and sell high, is there a good website, email list or App that will give me daily updates on When the US and/or Australian share market tanks so i don't miss the boat each day ( as i am at work from 5am and don't get the morning news).

Im hoping for concise updates so i can view and make a buy order whilst at work. I am sure if i logged in here daily someone would post something but this forum isn't really phone friendly.

Essentially i will just be buying LICs and ETF and holding them for 15-20 years and would just like to save a few dollars here and there whilst I'm at it.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Labuku

Labuku Member

The following is US centric data, but also, I am very lazy.

Data not mine and sourced from the theirrelevantinvestor.com
    Also I have not fact checked any of the data because.. I am very lazy.
    growth_of_dollar_btd_vs_avg_1_0_dca_avg-1536x1229.jpeg growth_of_dollar_btd_vs_avg_1_1_dca_avg-1536x1229.jpeg growth_of_dollar_btd_vs_avg_100_1_dca_avg-1536x1229.jpeg

Anthony416, luke83 and unicorntears like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

how about something like Yahoo Finance ( you can set it for Oz or US markets )

the market is so volatile that really only 100 point ( plus ) drops matter currently

and that should make the financial news and you can search for your favourite targets , after that

what i do is calculate an acceptable price ( say 10% or 15% below the market action ) put in the order and leave it in the market ( for months if i still fancy that target price )

i am at home most days so can watch the market for as long as i stay awake

this will work better for index ETFs like VAS or STW because they track the current market closely

cheers

luke83 likes this.
  4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

If you have an iPhone, there is an app for stocks- a standard app. You can add individual stocks, and it also monitors the asx.
    I don’t think you need to monitor on a daily basis if you are holding for that long. Just buy lump sums on a regular basis.

luke83 and Silverson like this.
  5. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

Essentially, i will build up a set amount every few months to invest, once i hit this limit, i will have a set time limit to to buy something ( EG: 3 months maybe), if no bargain comes along in 3 months well i buy anyway, But if i do find a market drop 3 weeks into my 3 month window then i will buy that day and pick up a slightly discounted stock. Essentially it's Dollar Cost Averaging but with a buy window, will it make any difference to my final return, most likely not but i thought it can't hurt.

With yahoo finance, can i create an account and configure it to notify me of ONLY what I want to monitor (IE: large market moves)? I only want my phone to beep if it's relevant :) I cant monitor as i would like as i work fulltime and run a home business and raise kids so life is pretty fullon. Going to look into Yahoo Finance more tonight.

twisted strategies likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There are some new shares.... C1EBFED1-EDAA-4501-9462-C9480F85693E.jpeg

7. twisted strategies

i make typos too , so i probably shouldn't ridicule

not many proof readers in journalism any more , so am not shocked just disappointed

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

ABC news just doesn’t know their ABC’s.

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi Luke

I understand the desire to buy at a discount but are you also looking at selling your ETF's/LIC's when they hit a set target?

What if you buy and then they drop further?

What if you sell and they rise higher?

Your money will build in your trading account until you pull the trigger in 2-5 months; note also that ETF's usually pay dividends quarterly and the LIC's twice a year

pippen and twisted strategies like this.
  10. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

The very worst I’ve heard from the National Broadcaster is when the radio journalist pronounced the word tourniquet with the t, i.e. tornikett!!!

11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Luke you are making the biggest mistake investors make, price anchoring. Dont make assumptions The top 10% of investors dont try to buy cheap or try to time the market. They understand winners generally keep winning and buy after price rises it is more often the best time and a signal to buy, trying to pick the bottom is for mugs. Quality dont come cheap. They may monitor the market 4x a year when reports and performance is quantified, market price means little, they ignore short term fluctuations, they look minimum 5 years out. They will look at revenue and growth runway (addressable market) . The best way to invest is consistantly just take a position and build on it if the price drops additional fund will make first tranche prices insignificant. In 20 years when the price is say $90 weather you paid $1.30, 1.35 or $3 will matter diddly squat. Lots of investors here have missed massive gains waiting for 10% drops, APT for example, In an attempt to prevent people from missing possible real life changing oportunity I was scolded for suggesting it was silly waiting for the price to drop $2 from $24 to 22,. It made no difference what price you paid as for the last 280 days the prices has risen on average $2 every second day .

12. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

And then you got to remember that out of that top 10% of investors very very few are actually able to make any more money over the long term than they would have if they had just passively bought the index.

So is it worth the time and effort to you to try to do what most of the professionals that spend every moment of their work life trying to achieve but can't?

13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

14. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

Im not waiting for a 10% drop ( although the market is over-inflated in my opinion so maybe i should) , but why shouldn't i take advantage of the regular 2% drops and eliminate my brokerage costs.

Attached Files:

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Regarding stop losses. Is it possible that investors stop losses are known to other investors such as those who short stocks? That info would be handy to know to some.

16. twisted strategies

if you can 'cherry-pick' solid companies and enlarge positions .. if that suits you

i tend to average down my average price of selected shares but they normally move independently to the index

when doing similar to you i ( normally ) try to buy at a 20% discount to my av. price for that share ( but i am very selective on which shares i do it to , some shares slide and slide for a very good reason )

but sure , not waiting for 'that big retraction ' has advantages as well ( a special div. or a company spin-off , DRP accumulation etc etc. or just buying some before the share price rockets , probably forever .like FMG did to me )

maybe keeping a little cash in reserve AS WELL might be the best of both worlds ( stop you worrying about missing out on big opportunities )

17. twisted strategies

i do NOT use stop losses (whether that scares you or not )

however traders DO ( in many cases) some use ( say ) 2% others 5%

now is there available data on such stop losses ( probably to a select few ) is the question , or just the fact XYZ is a very heavily traded stock so SOME traders will use stop-losses , so they assume there stop-loss action will be enough to amplify the push

remember some use 'rolling stop-losses '

Examining Different Trailing Stop Techniques

Examining Different Trailing Stop Techniques

i am ( mostly ) an investor , but i still need to have a basic understanding of other participants in the game , i am quite happy with a few extra crumbs a month ( some months ) , but others are trading for regular income and they MUST have results

cheers

datto likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Do you think brokers keep the details of the number and value of stop losses secret? Or do you think brokers share that information with others?

The same applies to margin calls.

19. twisted strategies

they would have to have SOME records so they can action the desired moves quickly ,

a question i cannot answer for you is how discreet is that broker ( and company ) for instance Robinhood discreetly tells you they on-sell your trading data .

say if you were using Commsec ( or another trading platform ) they would have that data for internal company use and to assist with market regulatory monitoring ( not completely a bad thing if only used ethically )

you may be paranoid ( i am ) but history has plenty of records on illegal sharing and colluding , has this activity stopped ?? ( i suspect not )

and margin call data is partly shared among interested parties including federal regulators ( and might easily be completely available to some )

after all data is the new 'gold' ask FaceBook , Google and others ( who sell your data throughput as a product )

remember regulators ( such as ASIC ) , investigate after the event , so would need reliable data to build their prosecution case , ( although they may freeze trading mid-event if they consider it necessary )

MangoMadness and datto like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Large investors and hedge funds, and banks know where most investors have their SL. There are algorithms which actually go SL hunting all day long, before price goes the other way. Actually placing a SL intelligently is not an easy thing to do because in most cases if you just place is at a key level or psychological number etc, you will most often get taken out. Yet if you place is too far from entry, your risk increases. There is no easy answer and it really all comes down to your particular strategy for that trade.

However, having no SL IMHO is reckless. Your account could get wiped out in one trade. If your willing to accept that kind of risk then good luck. Most likely won't have longevity in the markets.

datto and twisted strategies like this.