DA woes...

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by aroe, 25th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aroe

aroe Active Member

Hello

Seeking opinions and maybe some of the collective wisdom from you lot.

Our DA for an addition of a 1st storey to our terrace in Sydney City appears as though it's about to be knocked on the head - due to 'additional storeys generally not being supported where the building is part of an intact group', amongst a few other more minor things.

While we are at the end of an intact group (of 6), the council has conveniently left off the terrace on the other end, which has had a first storey addition at some point. Additionally. our street, even our whole neighbourhood is what I'd call a complete hodge-podge of weird and wacky designs.

We are obviously a bit ****** off about this response, not so much about the massive amount of money its taken to get to this point, but more so that this was to be our 'dream house'.

Our understanding is that the DCP is not to be treated as gospel, and that this may be fought on appeal. Has anyone been through this process? Is it worth it, or by this vague-ish post, would you say we are boned anyway?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Being the end terrace, your extension will be more noticeable than other locations. Is it possible to set the second storey back from the frontage so as not to affect the otherwise 'intact nature' of the group of buildings?

Have you supported your application with a submission from a heritage architect?

3. aroe

aroe Active Member

The addition cannot be seen whatsoever from the front, however is obviously visible from the side - as we are on the end.

Heaps of supporting information, but not from a heritage architect. This is something I have not heard of before...

Cheers

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My first port of call would have been a gun town planner. I personally wont do any type of development without their thorough input first.

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I'm assuming you're in a heritage conservation area. I've come across a similar issue with City of Sydney in the past. In a similar group of 6 terraces, rear not at all visible from the street but they did not allow a rear 1st floor extension.

Do you think any of your neighbours would be interested in a similar extension, if you could get another owner in the group to also submit something similar it may carry more weight. It may be worth discussing with a heritage consultant or planner familiar with City of Sydney. They will have experience on whether its possible or council won't budge. Unfortunately my planner contact is in Inner West but PM me if you want somewhere to start.

6. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Can you do it with a CDC instead of a DA?

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Yes, council has more flexibility regarding DCP controls compared to LEP controls.

1) Check when that development on the other end of your building line was approved
    2) I assume that the council is concerned about Streetscape and Character of the area and how your proposal fits? (maybe the heritage consultant may assist here)
    3) Did you submit an architect design statement with the proposal?
    4) If the development proposal is rejected then you can request a review by council who will allocate a different planner to review it.
    5) If you think you have a strong case then court may be an option.
    6) CDC is probably not an option but check.