DA uplift - free equity

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Starkey, 14th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Starkey

Starkey Member

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a quick search but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. I would like to know whether this is a common scenario for developers.

Acquire development site worth x value
    Acquire appropriate development approval
    Development site with DA now worth more than development site alone, created equity
    Equity now used for proceeding with the development, going forth with construction.

Is this a workable strategy or sound reasoning?

Thank you

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your dreamin!

When valuers value residential property they do as is. They don't take into account potential with subdivisions etc etc.

I think you will have a hard time.

Starkey likes this.
  3. Starkey

Starkey Member

Ha, i'd rather know that I am dreaming now! Thanks for the heads up.

tobe and Terry_w like this.
  4. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

Not dreaming at all.... I have done this very same thing for decades. It's not as easy as you think, but the strategy works. You need a massive database of potential buyers, which will include builders, developers, land bankers, acquisition agents for large funds etc.. They will value the site according to their own strategy and long-term needs.

They are all trying to do the same thing, so if you think you can just buy a hobby farm and get a DA for a 100 lot subdivision then Terry is right, you're dreamin'. But, if you have the cash and the time to take a project through Council, which can take years and payments to several consultants, then the DA will improve the attractiveness of the site (to the right buyer).

Dream on!

Ethan Timor, Terry_w and MTR like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree
    Also people don't realise DA wont work if there is not enough fat for the buyer ie developer/builder, no one will buy it.
    Designs must also be good, otherwise why would anyone buy

If its a hot market as is currently in Melb makes it much easier to sell

6. Starkey

Starkey Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I was originally looking at it in regards to equity which could be used to help secure finance go proceed with the development yourself. As pointed out, valuers will only value as is so that won't work.

In regards to the getting a DA and then onselling it to another buyer - thanks for the advice. Doesn't appear to be easy.

To give you context to my question. I recently completed a course by Bob Anderson and within the course handbook - he advised that equity could be created in such a way (DA uplift) to then be used to increase your equity position (in the eyes of a lender) and as such would not need to put as much capital in yourself for the development to proceed. I presume that it may of been possible in the past.....

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes but it would generally only be in the scenario of a commercial loan product. With residential lending products it generally doesn't look at the developability of the site but commercial lending does.
    Commercial lending looks at the developability and the end values of what you will build vs the cost of the build. The better the end value, the lower the construction the less amount of cash you "might" need to put in. I say might because commercial lending LVRs and interest rates are based on your experience, builders experience, market supply, location etc etc
    I don't think you could ever get it down to 0 though.

A similar idea might be to subdivide the land prior to building. For example if you have a block and DA to build 4 townhouses then you are building 4 in one line (or one title) which means increased deposits to make work on a LVR of 80 or so. BUT if you subdivided the block into 4 titles and these smaller blocks are worth more than one quarter of the old parent block then you have 4 construction loans and 4 houses each on their own title which may value up for $0 needed to put in.

Starkey and Sackie like this.
  8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Just to expand....

And that is because in the one line example, the valuer will provide a 15 to 25 % haircut on the "in one line sale" value of the 4 on one title, vs in the second model, the valuer will more likely get much closer to actual vals of existing similar stock.

ta
    rolf

Starkey likes this.
  9. Starkey

Starkey Member

I've saw this crop up a few times and it has been mentioned to me previously. Why is it that a valuer will provide a haircut - what are the reasons? Trying to get my head around it.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What if htey have to sell all 4 at once? They may need to take a haircut on price.

Starkey likes this.
  11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Lets start with GST.......... and marketing costs ............. what if the project falls over while 70 % done..........

While I dont always agree with some of the methodologies.......... there is merit in a haircut.

Just some take to it a number ONE, while others use scissors in a more measured way.

ta
    rolf

Starkey likes this.
  12. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Mainly because there isn't the same market for purchasing 4 units as there is one unit. Less demand, lower value.

Corey Batt and Starkey like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia