DA Refused

Discussion in 'Development' started by andnic, 5th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. andnic

andnic Member

Just had our DA refused.

Can anyone recommend a good planner, I want to get a second opinion on the outcome way forward as I don't believe the current planner put enough effort in to getting this over the line? (Ringwood North area)

I was looking to change earlier guess my gut was correct.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

By DA, do you mean Planning Permit?

What were the reasons for the refusal?

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think @MTR had a DA approved in the area?

4. andnic

andnic Member

Yes development planning application.
    Various reason on the refusal, was originally told by planner it should be approved with a few conditions.
    He was slack in following up, he did not know it was refused until a week after the fact...

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ouch!
    I would contact @bedeveloper and @MTR and see who they use in Melbourne.
    I guess next step will be VCAT for appeal.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

just sent a pm.
    You can avoid VCAT but its a process and getting the right people now is critical.

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Care to share the reasons for refusal?

Make an amendment, address the reasons for refusal, write a thesis as to why they should approve and go from their. And dont just submit it blindly and cross your fingers.
    Call the planner, organise to meet with the planner and discuss in detail.

I had an amendment denied 3 times by some useless planner once but refused to stop. Got independent town planning advice by 2 well respected planners who both said "dont like your chances" but didn't stop me.
    Kept going, threw everything they said why i couldn't have what i wanted back at them with buckets of information and eventually got assigned a new planner who approved in 2 weeks.

SmileSydney, Peter P, Adele and 5 others like this.
  8. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

I'm a planner, been around for 30 odd years - PM me and I'll have a chat with you
    The problem being if it's already been refused, the Council's decision is final and the matter is at an end. Finished, Done
    Your options will be VCAT (try to avoid that) or resubmit.

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  9. Commonwealth

Commonwealth Member

Same here, also struggling to get a 3 unit application over the line in Maroondah.

An action group in the area has been a huge pain to developers (100+ objections on any developments above 2 units). It also doesn't help when councillors are always on their side.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG... 100+ objections, OK but they are the same letter right, circulated to 100 people.

yes, very common. Let me guess, trees the major issue? and open space?

I had 12 objections but we got it over the line. Played hard ball at the end.

gun team/town planner required with this council

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2016
    Tufan Chakir and Perthguy like this.
  11. Commonwealth

Commonwealth Member

Ruskin Park Residents' Action Group, look them up online. They have a website and also a Facebook page.

The influence this group of people have on councillors is insane - managed to convince council to rezone an entire area from GRZ to NRZ (Amendment C107). Trying to get our permit approved before the rezone, which is the pain in the *** with that many objections. Most likely ending up in VCAT.

Tufan Chakir, MTR and Perthguy like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think 7 months wait time for VCAT at the moment?

13. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

that's a lot 100 objections.
    currently best council is darebin which restricts objections to 200meters to the site

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/f9e2beb9ed3c9bc30942ee00d08b3028

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thanks
    But surely it really has more to do with your team, my application was going absolutely no where except to VCAT until my gun Town Planner .... thanks @Be Developer came on board he basically ran rings around the council, and had them jumping hoops. He understood the beast and he also understood the need to negotiate, give a little, but at the same time back and forwards with emails, tweaking designs etc etc.

For example in Bentleigh, the locals have signs at the front of their houses stating they will oppose all developments. Town planner also got this one over the line, he strategized and used others who were trying to do the same, wont reveal all but very smart guy, locals did not want a bar of it but chose the best of 2 options.... nothing like holding them to random.

15. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

yes (good town planner makes the diff) as you know the north side the locals also don't have English as a first language. many are old school migrants. I have spoken to @Be Developer before.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right.
    He just got a Reservoir DA approved for one of his clients, excellent location etc.

melbournian likes this.
  17. Commonwealth

Commonwealth Member

It's good when councillors look at limiting objections, but unfortunately councillors are political figures at the end of the day - not hard to pick a side between a group of objectors and a developer.

I've been working with my architect for awhile now, and doubt I'll use someone new in this project especially in the middle of an application, unless necessary. I was wondering if you are happy to share your Town Planner contact with me?

18. andnic

andnic Member

Had 12 objections as well, mainly all around the same thing apart for the few quirky ones.
    It make me wonder how people think with some of the thing they come up with...

100 objections sounds like a real headache.

19. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

It's a political stunt. The Council must consider all objections (irrespective of location). The Council does not have the power under the Planning and Environment Act to be selective. If darebin is going down this path they will be making the situation even worse! I'd hate to try and deal with this idea at VCAT!

Sackie likes this.
  20. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Do you want to know how to get things done????? TALK TO PEOPLE!!! I think more than ever we have people who sit behind a keyboard and expect an email to solve all their problems. This is a trend I'm seeing more than ever that astounds me. People do not respond well to email, it's as simple as that. And worse yet neighbors don't like getting letters in their mailbox about towering developments (it could be a single story house but they will read it as towering development).

Picking up the phone and calling or even better if you go see someone you will be astounded by what you can achieve. As soon as someone puts a voice to a name you build rapport, put a face and your way ahead of most people. Every time I need something from anyone that is important I pick up the phone and dial. Never allow someone to interpret your tone or what it is your actually wanting.

And remember...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Haha