DA Approval for Duplex + Granny flat

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rainbow, 26th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

We have a 710 block in Kellyville (old) zoned R2. Wondering if the council will allow to build a duplex and attach (or detached) a granny flat to one of the house (3 dwellings). The idea is to live in one house and rent the other house and the Granny flat. I did not get a confident response from the Visit to the Hills council and it seems like it all depends on how you present your case. It will be all in one title as this land cannot be subdivided as it does not meet the minimum size requirement.

Has anyone done this before and appreciate all your response.

Thank you

2. 6993

6993 Active Member

Hi there
    You can only do duplex and not granny flat in one of the duplex. That means only 2 dwellings. We have had a case before and the legislation doesn’t allow because land is too small.

3. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Cheers @6993 for your reply. If the FSR is met with a suitable design will the council be lenient and allow for 3 dwellings or is it just restricted by a maximum of 2 dwellings based on the land size?

4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

2 dwellings
    If you get torren subdivision you may be able to partition each duplex to acheive a granny flat

Archaon likes this.
  5. 6993

6993 Active Member

Granny flat requires minimum of 450 sqm land size.. you not going to have that. Bottom line is only 2 dwellings

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Land requirements may be met, but highly doubtful that the frontage would be.
    If you had a block that was 24m wide and 900sqm, it would be waste to build a duplex + granny flat combo. Better off building townhouses instead and selling them separately.

7. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

@gach2 is on the money.
    R2 is dual occ.
    2 occupancies.
    Duplex is 2. House and granny is 2.
    Duplex and granny makes 3. No go.

As stated by gach2. If you were able to torrens title, you now have 2x dual occ sites. So 4 dwellings (with a DA due to land size <450sqm).

Need to check minimum land size. I believe the land size would not permit this. Unless this was Venezuela, and you handed a fat envelope to the right person.

Read the LEP/DCP, call local Council, or an area specific town planner.

8. AntC

AntC New Member

Everyone summarises this fairly well.....a granny flat is a type of secondary dwelling. You cannot put a secondary dwelling on an allotment of land that already has more than one dwelling located on it (such as your allotment that has 3 dwellings already on it.

I haven't looked at the Kellyville Council development standards for minimum lot size but I doubt they would allow dual-occupancies on lots less than 450m2. U would need minimum 900m2 for that anyway, so that ain't gonna work either.

3 dwellings on a 710m2 allotment in Kellyville - i'd be pretty happy with what you have achieved already!

9. AntC

AntC New Member

what do you mean by 'partition each duplex'?

10. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

If the site is rectangular, and frontage is 15m with land is 800m. Can you have a duplex sub-divided on torrents title asymmetrically (i.e. 450sqm + 350sqm), so that a granny flat can fit into the 450sqm lot, or does it have to be down the centre line from the front to back boundary?

11. Ricky Ng

Ricky Ng Active Member

Duplexes and granny flats are both considered dual occupancy, therefore you can only have one or the other. In theory, the only way to achieve what you want is if you can subdivide into 2x torrens title for the duplex and each resulting lot can then have their own granny flat.

Without getting too deep on whether you can subdivide, the resulting lots will be less than 450sqm anyway so you will not be able to do the granny flat under the SEPP. You will need to break your hurdles on 1) can you subdivide into 2x torrens title; and 2) whether your council planning controls allow you to do granny flats on less than 450sqm, as well as whether you have a good case for it.

I am currently doing a similar job for a client in Parramatta council so he can result in 4 dwellings in total. Pushing boundaries and trying to overdevelop an R2 (even though it may be within guidelines) will generally come with a lot of resistance from council, and you will need a good team to help you get it done right.

Archaon likes this.
  12. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Hi Ricky,

Are you able to get approval for your client. Parramatta council is not very easy to work with.

I have 1000sqm lot. My torrens title duplex subdivision can achieve minimum 450sqm lot size rules. I want to build 2 attached duplex with 2 granny flats. I am searching answer for this.

Archaon likes this.