Cyclone Debbie..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 26th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought of that right after I posted the question. Never mind :p

2. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Think the last cyclone Yasi was cat 5 and costs QLD around 1.5billion for rebuilding or something. Most of the economic pain was probably from the flooded coal and other mines that had to be shut down.

But Debbie is only a category 3-4 so probably much less damage, but definitely not gonna do any favours for the state budget.

samiam likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol...not this black duck

I was thinking the 800k + houses that are (or were yesterday) 200k odd, may be back to land value minus some site clean up costs & some may not be paying for insurance due to lack of funds :eek:

Would be a real double whammy for some if it hits hard there too :(

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, the economic cost is important too.

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Although there is an immediate loss with natural resources, rural production and tourism, there is good growth in the following years with rebuilding.. 'twas the case with yasi.

Still category 3.. hope everyone stays safe up there!!

samiam likes this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Sorry this sounds too interesting, there is a chance it could be construed as fun - stop it right now young lady.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Absolutely no chance of anyone mistaking it for fun. I worked with people who were sent to Darwin to assist with the Aftermath and their stories were harrowing at the time, but became more real after viewing the exhibit.

I was nearly in tears when we left.
    Marg

8. Marg4000

Still waiting till tomorrow for crews to be able to get into the worst affected areas.
    Biggest concern is the possible loss of lives or serious injury.
    Marg

9. Kangabanga

After a clear and sunny day yesterday, its getting a bit windy and some light rain down in Bayside Brisbane. Looks like the remnants of the cyclone will be making its way down by tonight/tomorrow morning. Hope it doesn't flood us out like in 2011.

Guys in Brisbane, prep yourselves today.

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Mackay river (Pioneer River) just broke its banks after 1,000mm of rain west of here in the last 24hrs, so now there is risk of very little drinking water to most of Mackay.

Collinsville got smashed last night. Lots of devastation in Airlie Beach and the Islands.

I've been lucky enough to have power, but most of Mackay is out. School has been cancelled the rest of the week. Going to be a big few days of cleaning up and restoring power/water supply.

pinkboy

11. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

@pinkboy does the Council bring water round when the supply dries up? This happened to me in Yorkeys (Cairns) and the Council brought tankers round each morning until the water was available.

12. Marg4000

Maybe localised creek floods, but Brisbane river flood most unlikely. Bremer river flood possible.

Somerset dam on 74% and Wivenhoe on 67%. Water being released from Somerset to equalise storage capacity. Unlike 2011 when ground already sodden after weeks of rain and dam levels already high.

This event (post Cyclone rain depression) will more likely resemble 1974. But again, 1974 flood also followed weeks of heavy rain.
    Marg

13. Marg4000

I should imagine they will if water available. If the water treatment plant is out of action then supply may not be possible.
    Marg

14. Kangabanga

good to hear pinkboy's doing ok.

I am watching SEQWater dam levels too. Our big dams have flood storage capacity which is empty now, so a bit more reassuring.

Probably won't be like 2011, maybe some minimal flash flooding in my area which often occurs with heavy rains as some areas pretty low lying around here (wynnum/lota)

whereabouts are you Marg?

15. Marg4000

Sunnybank. Thankfully high and dry!

You should be ok so long as you are not in one of the known trouble spots. Lota (bottom end) can be a bit of a problem in very high tides.
    Marg

Kangabanga likes this.