Cutting Tree on council trip

Discussion in 'Development' started by kkbk2000, 17th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kkbk2000

kkbk2000 Member

Hi all,

I am planning to do my first development on the property in East of Melbourne. Attached is the picture of the tree, which is on the south entrance of my house. As per the architect, I need to get rid of this tree. When I checked with tree removerl it seems this tree is on council strip.

My questions to you all are:

1) If I call up council and speak to them about my development plan will they remove the tree?
    2) what are the other options available to get rid of this tree?

Thanks for your help in advance

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The other option is redesigning your development.

Tufan Chakir and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I know a tree like that, sits to the side of a driveway, tree is over 60 years old, house is older again. The tree ain't moving anytime soon.

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

What tree? :cool:
    (Just kidding )

Hamish Blair likes this.
  5. kkbk2000

kkbk2000 Member

Just wanted to ask experience developers here,
    if I go to council, asking for the approval to remove the tree to do the development would they even consider it or should i try a different reason.
    FYI Council is Knox council. Please share your experience.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What other reason could you use? If it's on the nature strip, it's unlikely to be interfering with the structure of the existing house...

7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Two separate but intertwined issues. Tree removal will be a "parks" issue - the Council owners the tree and you'r kind of asking an owner to remove it to allow your development. Planning controls will relate to your land only and so you have no control over the tree and have no appeal rights as far as the development goes. You're in the hands of the Council planners

8. kkbk2000

kkbk2000 Member

The thing is the land is not in regular shape. the tree is the one on the left of my entrance and it s a council tree. As per the architect tree has to go in order to get maximum benefit.
    Now should I speak to council to remove the tree as I want to do the development or should I just say my kids play in that area and there are lumps falling from the tree so it is not safe. IMG_3099.JPG

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is the big tree on the left then I don't like your chances of getting it removed.
    Unless it falls under the "noxious weed" category.
    Marg

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be using a widening of the current driveway and get rid of your own tree.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.