Cutting back/improving capacity (in all aspects)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Codie, 29th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I’ve been listening to a few podcasts of late discussing our daily capacity or “brain space” & the theory that by removing decisions from our life, it opens up mental space, you become more focused & efficient, and you see more opportunity.

Silly decisions that we dwell on that may not actually be very important take up so much time and by placing things on auto pilot we may accomplish more. Could be thinking about what your going to eat next, or what you are going to wear, how many of these things do we waste time on?

Also With the recent discussions of minimalism, cutting back spending, and reducing waste etc. I’ve found myself looking at things I can change to cut back. Example, I buy a lot of bottled water (sparkling) I also drink a lot of bought coffee, it’s not something I wish to remove so how can I do it better? Bought a decent coffee machine, and a soda stream. Saves me $1800 a year

Questions to all is,

1. what are some tips, tricks or Hacks you have implemented to reduce waste or save money without totally removing things?

2. What are a couple of things you waste mind power on thinking about during the day, that you could automate and once made it would remove the decision. “Humans don’t work with too many choices, we need routine)

craigc, Propin, Blueskies and 2 others like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker Business Member

Wear the same clothes - I mean different ones, but same style. Like a uniform, no need to think about what to wear.

Cook meals in advance, a few days at a time. Cuts down time needed and energy thinking about it. Might also be good for weight loss. I used to eat more junk when realised at last minute I hadn't prepared.

Invest in one asset type so you are not constantly distracted following different strategies and asset classes.

craigc, Anne11, Islay and 2 others like this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

This one is a good one I follow as well, I have a set menu of maybe 8 things I just alternate. The benefit to this as you mention is weight loss - Once you know your maintenance caloric needs, you can create a 300-500cal deficit per day. -7000cal = 1kg Weightloss. So if your weekly needs are 15000, and you Prepare food early you only need to make up 11500 for 0.5kg per week safe weight loss. No decisions, no need to think, easy weight loss.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Codie likes this.
  5. The Y-man

One of the biggest changes I have made is catching public transport to work. Now before I start receiving all sorts of sympathies and condolences, it's not that bad!!

An all day ticket here costs $8.80

My little 12 year old Mazda 2 is probably now depreciated to $0, but even if the bit of fuel. service, insurance etc, it costs about 30c per km and my work is 20km away.

Granted off-peak, it can get me to work in about 40min. Peak is about 60~80min.
    If I time the bus/train combo I can get to work in 1 hour (peak ~ actually takes longer off peak as less bus/trains - but off peak I can sleep while I travel).

The Y-man

6. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

I generally don't go out of my way to eliminate what I enjoy. Life is too short. If it's something I can live without and it makes a decent impact to improving my life then I'll do it. I think we need to be careful to not suck all our enjoyment out of life. I personally also believe operating from a place of scarcity is not a great idea. I prefer to operate from a place of abundance. It might sound counter intuitive if you're trying to save money etc but I've read far too many accounts of how a scarcity mindset often doesn't achieve it's intended goals. And can be quite counter productive. Anyway that's my take on it. Each to their own.

For me the biggest bang for your buck here is simply eliminate those people around you who drain you. Hardcore pessimists, negative people, toxic people, people who love to gossip and do not much else, full of drama in their life folks who always want to offload their crap on you etc. I stay away from all of the above as much as possible. If you indulge them too much, they'll take you down with them.

With regards to automating decisions etc...I feel once you start to go down that route too much, you start to dehumanise yourself and move into robot territory.

Those are my thoughts.

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2019
    craigc, Lizzie, Leeroy93 and 2 others like this.
  8. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I understand and actually agree with you, I aim for abundance and am not talking about reducing your lifestyle or sucking the fun out of life.

Im personally talking about the little things that don't really matter to me that are taking up my time and can easily be disregarded without much emotional effort. Like having 80 apps on a phone, why? Getting a million emails a day and half of them being from things you just haven't unsubscribed from.. Deleting and free'ing up these alone gives "space"

Eliminating toxic people around you is good, hard to do sometimes but often your circle can be people's downfall.

9. Sackie

The other biggie is social media. I have have virtually none, besides Instagram that I use very infrequently.

10. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

X2 - Instagram will be gone by 12 tomorrow night!

Sackie and ellejay like this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member Premium Member

Learn to drink coffee/tea without milk.
    I get to experience daily dramas in my overcrowded staffroom from all the different Princesses who forget to bring in their particular "milk" each Monday.

My cup is also very easy to keep clean and hygienic without the typical four-hour old milky residue that plagues the others.

The Y-man and Terry_w like this.
  12. lettert

lettert Well-Known Member

13. The Y-man

Last time I looked, beans are veg :)

The Y-man

14. The Y-man

Cutting out property chat too? :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

15. The Y-man

I've just had a thought - I now spend *more* time than ever deciding on what to wear because of public transport!! Not that I care what people think BUT from a purely practical point of view with Melb weather (where you can get heatstroke or hypothermia waiting for a bus in the same day).

Technical travel clothing I found now an essential with lightweight insulating layers combined with a separate wind/water shielding outer layer, along with gloves in winter (you need to carry it, so weight is important, as well as packability into backpack), and midweight gear for spring/autumn... Needs to be easily removable too, considering trains seem to run with the heater at 30 deg C on a day when it's 10 deg c outside!!!

The Y-man

hobo likes this.
  16. Sackie

PC is (anti) social media. So I'm good. :p

craigc and Angel like this.
  17. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I just had exactly the same thought: I look at all the people around me, they all seem so busy. This range from young parents, working singles, and even retirees.
    Then I thought about the paradox of life: We have a myriad of gadgets and appliances supposedly to make our life easy, so that we can spend time on other things.
    We have Dishwasher/Washing-machine/Robot Vacuums to take-over those laborious hours that we used to spent.
    And yet many people are still time-poor.

So yes, I agree with the above, food is one big thing. In my culture food is very important.
    Parents, grandparents and everyone spend so much time and effort to plan 3 meals a day, and they cant repeat.
    Then there's the planning, shopping, loading. unloading, preparing, cooking, cleaning of all the food and foold-related items. Some food needs to be fried or browned first, then put in Al Foil, into the oven, then blah-blah-blah.....Gosh, I am stressed just thinking about it.

The other one is commuting. It breaks my heart listening to some stories in China: someone get-up everyday at 5AM, just to catch a train to reach work at 9AM. He'd be home at 9PM. All this because he cant afford to live close to workplace.
    We are lucky here: We used to live close to son's school, walking distance to be exact. Bus to work only takes 15-20 minutes.

My new year resolution is to simplify my life, to de-clutter, both emotionally and physically. Fingers crossed I'd get there in the end!

18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I could cut down on the time I spend on property chat but where's the fun in it. I do consider it an educational tool and get a lot out of reading questions and answers. So it's unlikely I'll be giving it up in 2020

Ways to simplify life
    - meal plan and online grocery shopping + freeze some meals to have when you don't feel like cooking/sick etc
    - work for yourself (you'll have way less useless meetings in your life!)
    - say no to things (at work, at home, with friends) - I am a bit of a yes person to my own detriment so I don't practice this very well but I recognize that I can improve it
    - enjoy doing nothing - it's school holidays and my DD11 comes to me every day and asks what are we doing today and I like to answer nothing. This is my down time for the year until the 6th and I need a breather to so I'm not literally doing nothing but I'm happy for her to have a friend over, do one outing per week (during holidays), watch a movie at home with her, do some art with her etc.

Propin likes this.
  19. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I have barely used my printer at home or work for that matter since circa 2015. That X'mas, I decided to scan and PDF everything possible, even mundane crap like mobile bills. Only really have important stuff in print and PDF. I don't recall the last time I've had to purchase a toner.

Since 2016, I've also stopped buying new mobile phones every 2 years.

Fix kids toys where possible and involve my kids or other stuff, granted, I'm quite handy with simple electronics. I've also tried to salvage where possible second hand parts instead of buying new. Forums on the Internet and digging around guides/manuals you'll be amazed at what can be fixed/salvaged rather than disposing it. I've also given away a few TVs and computers/electronics I've managed to fix to family and friends who need them more than me, bonus feeling good about it.

I also bike when possible - stems back from my crazy uni days. I had my licence at 18 as most here in Vic but never got my own car until I saved enough by 20. If I'm doing the grocery run I'll bike it if weather permits.

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2019
  20. The Y-man

[​IMG]

The Y-man

Westminster likes this.