Custom made kitchen vs flat pack kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mark, 7th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

I need to replace the kitchen of the investment property I just bought. Got a quote from bunnings for $4500 (excluding appliances and installation ). Got similar price from a kitchen company for the same layout. They charge me $560 for removal of the old kitchen and $650 for installation. I guess it is better off to go for the customized kitchen instead of the one from bunnings. I do not understand why the flat pack kichens are so expensive. What is your thought?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Because someone had to flatten it? :cool:

The Y-man

Cia likes this.
  3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

:p

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For that small extra cost, I'd be going with the one that someone else is installing for me.

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I appraised a property today that underwent a full Renovation, they installed a flat pack kitchen, the joiner got things wrong and it costs them thousands.

You can get kit kitchens that are more custom made than flat packs and not too much more expensive.

6. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

I agree go with custom installation if there are any errors the company will need to rectify at their expense not yours.

Flat packs can be a nightmare and most handyman wont do flat pack installation due to the nightmare that they are

7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

On the other hand, why is the kitchen company so cheap???

My colleague recently had her bathroom renovated by a professional that gave the cheapest quote... 3-week job became 8-week nightmare! :eek:

8. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

hi mark - eager to learn more about your custom guy, i'm having to do something similar in brisbane too and would prefer a custom job over bunnings special.

are you able to share his details (here, pm or otherwise?) - thanks, dave

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had @Arms from the forum make us a bespoke kitchen a couple of years ago. It's still looking just as good as when it was put in.

He also sells flat pack, but we got him to make to suit, and install as well.

I notice he hasn't posted for a while, but it is worth sending him a message.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

As long as the kitchen is good quality (ie solid backs, not masonite and screwed, not stapled. Also Blume hinges and tracks) they will be better than Bunnings quality at a similar price.
    It can be done, especially in Sydney.