Current loan & construction loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by robbo123, 6th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbo123

robbo123 Member

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of doing a knock down rebuild on a piece of land I own outright.

I require a loan for the construction of the new residence
    I also currently own a 1/4 of another property with my family which has a current mortgage however a family member is currently residing in this property & paying the mortgage in lieu of rent & I therefore do not make repayments.

Can you tell me what the impact of the current mortgage will have on my borrowing capacity for the constriction loan?
    Will I still be responsible for 1/4 of the current mortgage in the lenders eyes?

Thanks

2. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

With most lenders, they'll consider the total mortgage debt (total) on the property in your liabilities/expenses. They probably won't include any rental income as its not been coming in.
    In short, it won't be good.

There are a few lenders that will apportion the total debt to your share (on the top of my head, St G, ME, AMP i believe). Your borrowing power is likely to be greater here. By how much, will depend on the size of the debt on the property.

As a first step, just run your borrowing power across the board. If you need a little bit of extra gas, you may need to be more selective on lender choice. The unique features of your situation will mean a greater spread of borrowing capacities between some lenders.

tobe likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if your income to debt ratios are high, and the deemed and actual expenses on the lower side, then you might not have an issue in any case ?

ta
    rolf

4. robbo123

robbo123 Member

With this current loan our income to debt ratio is quite low as this loan would take up a large portion of our income however I have never made a repayment on this loan as it has always been my family member making the repayments in lieu of rent while she resides there as an owner occupier. I am however on both the title & the loan itself.

If it is the case that the lender will consider my repayments to be 100% of the actual repayments then it will be near impossible to get a construction loan based on our income.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

In that case your lender choices are somewhat limited to lenders that dont take joint and several liability, some of which redom has alluded to earlier.

ta
    rolf