Curious Mortgage Question

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Rocket66, 26th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rocket66

Rocket66 Member

Hi all,

We are increasing our home loan to put a decent solar system on our roof and mid application an odd idea came into my thoughts. Its likely that there is a valid reason why people don't do this but here goes anyway.

Say you own a house (PPOR) with a current market value of $500k and have an outstanding mortgage of $250k with an offset account. Would it be possible to increase your loan, i.e borrow another $250k to put into the offset account effectively cancelling any interest?

My guess is there are clauses written into mortgages that prevent this kind of thing otherwise banks would go broke but I imagine there are people out there that may be able to give a definitive answer?

Rockett

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Firstly you can only borrow to 80% in general without incurring loan mortgage insurance (LMI) so your $500k property with $250k owing would (generally speaking) allow you to get an additional $150k assuming serviceability is not a problem.

There is no reason why you can't just take all the cash and put the excess into the offset account, why do you want to do this? What do you see as the advantage? If you plan to use some money for solar panels and some for investing you are creating a mixed purpose loan which is a bad idea and a tax nightmare. There may also be consequences in having the money sit in an offset for a period before using it to invest (I am unsure of this).

Taking out a line of credit (LOC) may give the flexibility you are after. You only pay interest on the money you have taken from the LOC and the maximum amount is agreed on in advance.

2 people like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

As mentioned by Hodor, you won't be able to borrow $250K, most you'll get is 95% of the value if you're prepared to pay LMI, more likely 80% max LVR.

But what you seem to be missing is that you'll be paying interest on the extra borrowed money, so you won't be paying no interest, you'll be paying exactly the same you were before.

Let's say you borrow an additional $150K (total borrowing $400K, LVR = 80%)

Value: $500K
    Current loan: $250K @ 5% interest = $12,500 interest per year
    New loan: $150K @ 5% intrerest = $7,500 interest per year
    Total interest payment: $20,000 per year

Put that $150K into an offset account, saves you 5% interest = $7,500 per year, total interest paid = $20,000 - $7,500 = $12,500 ... exactly the same as what you were paying before.

6 people like this.
  4. Rocket66

Rocket66 Member

It wasnt something I was at all considering doing but just thought about it the other night, couldnt quite get my head around how it would work.

We simply topped up our mortgage by 10k and plan to put the $550 per quarter saving into the mortgage for the next 3 years or so. We were ofcourse offered the good ol' Certegy finance and told the price, then I called and said we will fund it ourselves and magically the price dropped by 3k!

Think I found the 3k interest!

Rocket

2 people like this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you borrowed another $250,000 your debt would be $500,000! So even if you paid the $250k into the offset account you would still be paying interest on $250,000

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice