CUA frustration

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Mill, 15th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

My wife has a home loan with CUA, product name Accelerate variable. The rate was competitive at the time, 2 years ago let's say 3.5%.

It's since dropped to 3%, however this is too high for OO P&I. So I called the bank to ask for a discount but all they said was they cant change the rate on that product.

All we could do is pay a $300 fee to change product, now called Offset Variable at 2.5%.

This seems madness to me. Other banks you can simply call up to discuss your variable rate and easily change. But CUA wants $300 to change a variable rate. The products have identical features.

The most annoying part is we have paid the fee before, changed to the latest product. Only for this product not to reduce inline with the market, and the only option to reduce the rate is to pay another fee to their latest product which does have a competitive rate.

So they get you to pay the fee to change products, stop lowering the interest rate on that product, then bring out a new product at the lower rate so you have to pay to get the latest rate.

Am I missing something here or is this sneaky product/fee rinse & repeat by CUA? A bunch of other banks I deal with don't do this. I guess the simple answer is to refinance to another bank

2. David R Sutantyo

David R Sutantyo Well-Known Member

Standard practice. That's why you have brokers to manage your mortgages. I'm not a big advocate of refinancing "just because", but in a situation like this, where you have consulted the lender, they're not dropping the rate, then it makes sense to take it elsewhere more competitive and you might even get cashback for doing that.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Yes it is sneaky.

'Standard practice' doesn't mean fair. It just means they are all at it!!

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Most lenders wont even let you swap to a new business/ new money rate without a new app, so that switch fee seems pretty painless in comparison

ta
    rolf

wylie and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Pretty Standard. Most banks have a standard nil fee basic product and a packaged product with an annual fee.

These packaged products generally allows you to negotiate the discounts while the basic product is just a set discount with no movement.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This is why it's not always about cheap rates. The longer do this the more I realise it's about how lenders will meet your medium and long term needs.

The Y-man likes this.
  7. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony that actually helps justify the fee. I've checked with the wife and she doesn't pay an annual fee. So I guess paying to change products every year or so is the same as the package fee I pay at other banks like CBA

8. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

If paying the annual fee and obtaining a lower rate outweighs the annual fee then you'd do it.