Cruise Ship with 165 homes!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by JessicaP, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Studio apartments on board only $600,000....

"Imagine the ultimate lifestyle that comes with combining a private yacht and a luxury vacation home. A home that takes you all around the globe, allowing you to wake up to new scenery outside your private veranda every few days.

That is what life is like aboard The World, the largest private residential ship on the planet at 644 feet. Since our launch in 2002, The World has continuously circumnavigated the globe, spending extensive time in the most exotic and well-traveled ports, allowing Residents to wake up in a new destination every few days, exploring with depth they had never before thought possible. It is a lifestyle they are truly grateful to live each day."

About The World - Largest Private Residential Ship

BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I might stick my mother in law on this.

Imagine the strata fees. OMG.

Personally I couldn't imagine anything worse but there would definitely be a market for those die hard cruisers.

Lizzie and KayTea like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@vtt - world's largest swingers club?

vtt and Ed Barton like this.
  4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

It would be amazing for the first lap of the world.. But might get old after that!

5. JessicaP

They have a list of fees on the website - studios from $600K right up to suites for $13.5mil. I think I read somewhere that it is $60K per year which includes staff, food etc.

6. Scott No Mates

@JessicaP - not ridiculous $$ for 24/7 concierge, food, services etc considering that they have to pay docking fees in lieu of rates.

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

There is a real market for this. For years many old people have been selling up their assets and then simply going from one cruise to another until their end. They're meeting a need in the market. Smart people who thought it up.

Xenia likes this.
  8. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Tax breaks? I slept through most of my classes, but the income tax lecturer said something about buying one of these residences/offices and having your business (?) address there. I think this is something @Terry_w can probably clarify.

Xenia likes this.
  9. JessicaP

Most of the residences come with an office - internet, phone etc included.

I agree, very reasonable price - think about what you would spend on food and travel and entertainment per year!

I think it is a fabulous idea. There would have to be some issues with personality clashes etc (I would think it would be similar to a commune in a way?).

The $600K studio rents for between $1300-$2300 per night, not a bad return ;)

Xenia and BigKahuna like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

11. BigKahuna

"Residents own their individual Residences, but collectively, they own the ship,"

Residents own the ship, which means they are responsible for its upkeep and maintenance. Body corporate fees would be astronomical. Ships are bloody expensive to maintain.

Xenia and MTR like this.
  12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I doubt the 'strata' would be only $60k pa and it certainly wouldn't include food.

I don't see the attraction. If I was into cruises I'd want to go when and where I wanted.

13. JessicaP

Absolutely. You 'd think it would get a bit old after the first go round - money maker from then on though....

legallyblonde likes this.
  14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I wonder if they will float the company

vtt, Ed Barton and geoffw like this.
  15. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I know a guy that worked like 10 years in the cruising industry. He said all the big boats have a dedicated morgue. Kind of scary. Apparently from time to time you'll see them wheeling bodies off the boat. It's business as usual and no one is shocked to see it happen.

16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

A ship would be an awesome place to retire.

JessicaP and BigKahuna like this.
  17. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a cruise ship be like being stuck permanently in a hotel? I think I would hate it. I like to get away from tourists and explore local areas when travelling.

Never done a cruise so cant really comment, but not tempted and don't think I ever will. This would be a retirement nightmare for me, physically, emotionally and financially.

D.T. and geoffw like this.
  18. BigKahuna

I've never done a cruise either, but from what I gather the ship is more like a town than a hotel. You don't have to unpack and pack every time you arrive at a new destination. I've heard good things about cruises.

19. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

I have a rellie who works in the cruise industry. He says that the 80% of people who go on one cruise, have such a great experience that they tend to get hooked on cruises.

Having said that, I've never gone on a cruise myself. I just don't think I could do it.

20. JessicaP

Not this one. It has a range of homes on it (from studio apartments to full, huge 3 bedders). It isn't the typical full on tourist thing with only people who have rented long(ish) term or permanent residents. I think it would be awesome for a bit - not sure about year after year.