Travel & Holidays Cruise insurance

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by New2prop, 13th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

What do you guys recommend for Cruise insurance from Sydney to New Caledonia lasting 10 days? Me and my family (2 kids) are first timers and curious to know what are key considerations when choosing insurers for a cruise. Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Gastro is your biggest issue on the medical front - most will cover medical overseas but you are left to Medicare once back in Oz.

New2prop likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We went with Covermore.

1st cruise we had to cancel 3 months before departure due to health reasons, covermore refunded us the portion that the cruise line didn't
    2nd cruise, my missus got sick (some flu thing) and needed to see the doctor on board, covermore reimbursed us.

The claims process is super easy, we go on our next cruise next month, hopefully we don't need to claim this time ;)

Colin Rice, Gockie and MTR like this.
  4. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I bought Allianz Travel comprehensive insurance with Cruise pack for $150. Seems good to me

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Use covermore, good and competitive pricing

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Unlimited drinks package & hang around the pool, won't matter if you lose a leg then, maybe raise your status to pirate ?

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Check with your credit card provider. A lot of them include decent travel insurance, people often know about it. That said, it could be lousy insurance, I've never made a claim of this nature.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You definitely need insurance.

On a recent Alaska cruise our ship had to be in a certain position one morning so that a US coastguard helicopter could evacuate a passenger who suffered a medical emergency. Would hate to think how much that cost.

Check carefully if choosing CC insurance to ensure you comply with all conditions. We don't use it as hubby has several pre-existing conditions and the process to have these covered was too difficult.

Friends have used it, but never had to claim so don't know how "good" it is.
    Marg

New2prop and Shazi like this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

For travel Insurance, I select $0 excess. Yup, it becomes more expensive but I realised the excess applied to EVERY event e.g. attendance of surgeon, anesthetist, allied health professionals, medical transport. So if taking that into account, the bills could be horrendous. I also reasoned if I'm going to spend a five figure sum on a holiday, an additional couple of hundred bucks is neither here nor there

New2prop likes this.
  10. Honour

Honour Member

When I went on my Caribbean cruise my son, who manages a city Flight Centre insisted I get insurance with Covermore. He said they cover for a lot of stuff that others insurers don't, and that they were highly regarded in the travel industry.

New2prop likes this.
  11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Trust he rebated you any commission if one was paid :)

However, yes, I understand from an acquaintance who works in the same industry (I cannot afford him, i.e. don't bother rolling in unless you have about $50K PER person or you're corporate) Covermore is well regarded.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We had a travel claim through Covermore, got paid in the end but the paperwork was horrendous and payment took a couple of months, around $11K.

Flight Centre, who sold us the policy (and got a hefty commission) were not much help.
    Marg

New2prop likes this.
  13. Honour

Honour Member

I purchased through my local flight centre, although ended up wishing I had gone through his store. (I'm coeliac and the airline didn't note my dietary requirements). He said it wouldn't have happened had I gone through him (he doesn't do the bookings/get commission).

14. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Look into Travel Insurance Direct. You can purchase the policy right on their website. We have been quite happy with them (only made one small claim)

15. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Most credit cards offered free insurance, I don't pay for any of travel insurance anywhere with my credit card and we are a big family with lots of kids and us

we have been on the cruise a few times, If you healthy and fit you wouldn't have any issue
    nice and relax way to travel

New Caledonia is like a little French city very clean and nice

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2017
  16. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

17. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

They are good just as good as paid one, these policies are paid for by the credit card company, they have given you as a compliment for using their card

I know someone medical bill run into a few hundred K due to accident

18. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, make sure you see your doctor before you go to get some sea sickness wafers. You don't want sea sickness to ruin your holiday.

Colin Rice likes this.