Crowding the buyer

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Whitecat, 10th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Me to agent prior to B&P

"Please let me do my thing with the BI, the last time the agent was in our face commenting etc and I didn't feel I had space to ask him questions etc without interference. It may have been a one off but fyi please."

Agent responds that no worries he will leave us alone and
    "Oh mate I can honestly tell you that he was and is not a one off. Most agents that I have had and have seen do that all the time. They call it crowding the buyer."

Omg.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The agent is only there to provide access. Simply tell him politely that you are paying for the inspection and any discussions will be in private - agent can wait beside the front door or outside.

They can play games, but you don't have to join in.
    Marg

SmashedEconomy likes this.
  3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Marg4000

The agent will do what the agent will do. Have a discrete chat with the inspector prior to going into the property. If the agent is a pain, have the inspector discretely point at things for you but explain later (outside when the agent is out of your hair).

4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

During my building and pest on Tuesday the agent AND the tenant were attempting to crowd.. Luckily I came prepared... I took my mother to keep them busy!

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

don't most of us play games I some way with the agents? there are entire threads dedicated to negotiation strategy, tips on dangling the carrot of future listings etc.

so why do some people have issues with the agents trying to work situations too? buyers are there to get the best possible deal, agents (ideally) want the best deal for their client and to further their own business, just accept and understand that's a part of the game and everything becomes so much easier

bondibch and Sackie like this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I always eat a truck load of garlic when I think buying crowding will occur.

"Mr Agent, can you check this wisdom tooth, does it look infected? (deep breath and exhale)

7. Whitecat

Of course games but to blatantly get in the way when someone has purchased a private service.
    I'm not worried this time as the agent has agreed but when it did happen last time I was shocked

8. SmashedEconomy

SmashedEconomy Active Member

Remember to forget to wear deodorant on that day too.

datto likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Or eat a hot curry night before

datto likes this.
  10. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

This ↑ ......... except the politely part

Whitecat and Marg4000 like this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What is th e point for the agent? The inspector has a job to do, maybe your just being sensitive, it is unlikely they are going to want things to fall over cause the B&P was not satisfied.

Also, as the buyer, your not doing the inspection, they could deny access to you, the inspector probably finds it a pain in the rear too, they still have to d a report after putting up with you both ?

12. Whitecat

Any agents care to answer? I speculate that by intefering they will distract the inspector or alternatively intimidate or sway opinion (believe it or not most inspectors get to know agents quite well over time).
    Makes it less likely to negotiate on price or less likely to pull out if your concerns have been retorted there and then by the agent.
    Less likely to ask the inspector questions, pursue things during the inspection eg I felt like I couldn't freely ask the inspector questions (although nothing stopping it was intimidating and not private). Pulled out anyway of that one.
    Was just surprised by the quote above from a different agent

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My mother used to simply open the house for the inspector and let him get on with the job. She would take work with her or make calls. She didn't try to influence him one way or another. She always tried to get the purchasers to come at the tail end because no inspection report reads well, but the inspector would often say something like "this is a good house" even though the report makes it sound like it is about to fall over.

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yes, they could change things on some people.

I admit agents do try and influence things, but once they have the place under contract, I tell them in a very straight forward, but friendly way, that each party now has own job to do, at the end of the day, many of them just panic about the contract falling over, if they feel confident that won't happen, it is just negotiating etc, they will probably leave you alone.

The whole show runs on confidence, fill them with the confidence they crave and carry on :)

Look at things from the inspectors point, they would know the so called tricks, if they have to deal with buyer as well as agent/vendor/tenant it may be a right pain, they have standard forms that need completing, the agent is not going to be able to sway that report, it either has issues to report, or has none, assuming the inspector is not in the agents pocket.

wylie likes this.
  15. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Hi,

I assume that if an agent is doing it that it would be to distract or draw attention away, but can not comment on why other agents may do it.

I am an agent in a small town and do not attend the building inspection personally. I provide keys and/or arrange access on their behalf, but let them do their job. If there is an issue with the property I would rather know early on and work through it.

Mick.

Whitecat likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is a very valuable point for any newbie buyers ... and I've heard some inspectors tell their clients some awful advice "see that sag in the 100yr old roof, cause it used to be tile and now it's tin, well the whole roof structure will have to be replaced!!" ... and seen some reports on houses we've bought where a novice would run screaming ... but a good inspector will always write a terrible report (to butt cover) but tell you the truth.

One we bought, and made a very handsome profit on, came back as the southern brick wall on the 100yr old house had some creeping damp below floor level that scared off a few buyers ... but ... as the inspector told us old hats ... even if he hadn't looked at the house, he could've told us that EVERY 100yr old brick house would have creeping damp on the southern side

wylie likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well there you go, they've let one out of the bag.
    Find out when that agent has open houses and see if they like you crowding the buyers.

Whitecat likes this.