Crowdfunding or Spruiking?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Longrass, 26th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Longrass

Longrass Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

So i have been seeing a lot of "spruiker"/"mentors"/"educators" popping up on FB and YT lately, think Mark Rowlton, The A Team, etc.

This got me to thinking and googling. These guys seem to be small/medium scale property developers at the core, who then try to vertically integrate the entire operation from finding, developing, building, managing, financing and then selling the finished product. It's as if they are using the whole investment/mentor/education to build upon their own developing ventures. It's as if the facebook presence is just there to build bigger or build more than what they could have done organically.

Am I missing something here?

Is this just crowdfunding (with a return) in disguise?

Is there anything wrong with this approach, as in ethically?

Is there a place for a business that supposedly "helps" people to become a hands off developer?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This certainly isn't crowd-funding, it's usually spruiking.

The ethical issue in many cases, is they're offering you a free education, but actually conditioning you to buy properties that they're marketing. Their income is built into the purchase price. Quite often the properties are a terrible deal as they may be priced well above their value on the open market.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's called Marketing

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can't see a link to whom you're talking about so not sure how/what they do BUT yes there are businesses who help people be developers. I am one of them. I'm not a one stop shop though - I'm not licensed to sell or finance and nor would I want to. I stick to my niche and independent from other team members so that everyone is impartial.

Jess Peletier likes this.