Travel & Holidays Croatia to visit?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jess Peletier, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We're planning a trip to Italy next year but during our research have started looking at Croatia - has anyone been there? it looks pretty amazing, half thinking of going there instead/as well.

Love to hear thoughts :)

Pumpkin likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's very similar to Italy especially the seaside areas and is supposed to be AMAZING.
    It's on my bucket list of places to visit once the kids stop asking 'are we there yet' every 5min on a plane.
    I married into a Croation family and I see all their photos etc and it's definitely a good place to go.
    @Jamie_ went there a couple of years ago.

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Definatly go if you have the chance. A top place, reasonably cheap, fantastic scenery, heaps to do.

Sail Croatia is very popular. Do your research before booking though as the boat condition/standards vary dramatically - though the price doesn't.
    Also different boats are taylored to different markets. If youre a retiree you don't want to be on a boat with a bunch of 18yearold **** heads who party all night and sun bathe all day. And visa versa.

Blacky

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Dubrovnik is a beautiful walled city!! Its like nothing like you've ever seen in Australia. :)
    Enjoy :)

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

See it every week while Game of Thrones is on. :D

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

have been twice and it is one of my favourite countries, lots to do and see, reasonably inexpensive. Have only been from split south though

on our last trip we went after a couple of weeks in Italy. We went to Vis, lovely and quiet, could hire a car very cheaply and explored the island, lots of little coves and beaches, the old fishing village. we were there in july just before peak season, it is the kind of place where all the rich boats come in over the summer but a bit further out then hvar so less busy with those staying there. not a whole lot of variety for food but we had a busy time grazing in italy so we were happy to chill on the beach and do our own meals for a few days.

hvar is a lot more lively and better food and drink options, we were there again just before peak season and it was perfect for a 33/34 yr old couple who like food/drink but not the busy noise of party people. i was there in 2005 during peak season and i would avoid it then (unless you like lots of ****** brits carrying on) plenty of nice bars by the water where you can laze on the rocks, order drinks and nibble on food.

dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful places ive been too. both trips ive stayed in the old town and spent most of the time walking and exploring from there. again lots of good food and drink options, lots of nice swimming beaches but is usually busy most times of the year, especially hectic in summer.

split is the main port to get to the islands, very nice around the harbour, good food and bars, good shopping according to my wife and credit card.

well worth a visit

legallyblonde and WattleIdo like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Neighbours go sailing over there every couple of years.

Other neighbours came from Mostar during the most recent war - it was a blast.[​IMG]

8. House

House Well-Known Member

As above, definitely recommended. Croatia and the Czech Republic are the two places I suggest non-Europeans go to due to their history, architecture and culture.

How long are you planing to travel for? Train or car? It's close enough to go spend at least a couple of days there and travel back along the Pordenone route.

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We've got a total of 3 weeks - we want to spend a few days in Rome, probably a week in Cinque Terre and maybe in Croatia.

10. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Croatia is amazing - but will be swarming with lots of tourists.

Check out Montenegro - it's incredible too. Less pricey and not as many people.

Cheers

Jamie

11. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

+1 for a sailing trip. The islands are amazing.. Most have their own little 'old town' with great food and historic buildings. The same limestone was exported to build the White House.

Plitvice lakes is also pretty spectacular.

12. Nem

Nem Well-Known Member

Really depends what you like to see on your holidays, Dubrovnik and Zadar are places full of history and historic buildings still there, if you're interested in Rome, those 2 cities are probably something I'd recommend :)
    While in Italy don't miss on Venice or Padova, at least day in each :) In Europe everything is very near if you traveling by car!
    Hope that helps :)

13. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I've done Cinque Terre and also Croatia, both are amazing. Dubrovnik is stunning but my favourite was a little town called Makarska.

14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed. I went to Belgrade,sarajevo,Mostar,kotor and another city 2 years ago, we drove across and took titos old presidential train on the way baxk, incredible part of the world

How You Can Effortlessly Discover the Balkans, in Less Than 3 Hours

this is a post about the trip I went on with a couple of friends. most of the 12 of us and another 2 mates from melbourne (has the food and travEl site thecitylane.com) are going to Iran next year, cant wait.

there may or may not be a photo or 2 of me in here so I guess everyone now knows I'm not the guy in my profile pic...

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2016
  15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Tourism in Croatia is exploding, better go quick. especially after most north African (Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco) and mid-east places (Turkey, Jordan) are out of favour at the moment (even Spanish tourism is up over 20% this summer). Even though I benefit from the Spanish surge, hope it changes, like visiting the Muslim countries that have had problems lately and the people there dont deserve this crap.

Iran would be great, minimal tourists. I planned a trip once, had flights, hotel and a climb of mt Damavand all booked, but they rejected my Visa at the last minute due to some UK disagreements. Seems the tourist authority and the government do battle against each other there.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2016
    sanj likes this.
  16. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I met a couple of US +NZ ladies in India who had married Iranian men. They reallt enthused about how the arts flourished there!
    Enjoy your journey there!

17. Nem

Nem Well-Known Member

How You Can Effortlessly Discover the Balkans, in Less Than 3 Hours

this is a post about the trip I went on with a couple of friends. most of the 12 of us and another 2 mates from melbourne (has the food and travEl site thecitylane.com) are going to Iran next year, cant wait.

Great post sanj :) I enjoyed reading it and I think you got very good picture of ex-Yu countries!

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As was discussed in another thread, the guy in your profile pic was killed.

India's gold man

19. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Another +1 for Croatia especially a sailing trip of the islands and if you can get there plitvice lakes are amazing!!!!

But as someone who has traveled to Italy morr times than I can recount, I highly recommend it as well. Or for something different try Sardinia and Corsica both beautiful with their Italian and French influences.

20. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Theres the standard tourist trip of Split to Dubrovnik with the island of Hvar plus Brac, thats a tourist trap - grap a car and take your own route, you can grab a car in venice and drive across croatia and even come back.

Norther Croatia:

Istra - find one of the colosseums in the world - eat lamb on the spit. Go to Pula

Head south

Take the adriatic coast on e65 through Rijeka and head south. Pass Krk island and go to Rab and explore the other islands. Awesome seafood, very italian inflienced, where you see 'sobo' thats a room , people live off tourists so rent a room and they will cook for you....

Head south to zadar stay in the old town....amazing!!!! rent a room or maybe airbnb.....

explore the island and may need a ferry - its the small islands that will blow you away!

Go to sibenik - and maybe head to knin (inland) you will see what the war done here - be careful.

Go to split and spend a couple of days, don't go to where the tourists go, walk a little further and eat local food....its worth it!

2 days in split will still leave you curious,.... explore the nightlife....its insane.

Go to dubrovnik and explore the islands.... try to get to Hercegovina - but your car may not be insured....worth it though....cheap food and great people....real eye opener....

hope that helps!

Cheers Ivan