credit tightning and its impact

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by TheSackedWiggle, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Just as easing of credit is directly proportional to price rise, tightening of it should has the inverse effect.

Lvr % exponentially increase or decreases the borrowing power.

Since we are coming from high lvr laons to a low lvr environment with serviceability becoming more stringent, assuming this tightening is here is stay for a while. What do seasoned investors/ brokers think about its impact on house price?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

My clients haven't stopped buying! I'm experiencing an incredibly busy period - but it's only a tiny sample size. There's also been a lot of restructuring/equity releases too.

Cheers

Jamie

3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Jamie just curious, what % of these are investor loans?

I have been looking in Canberra market and its boiling for last quarter or two, i was thinking the tightening should impact investors from here on? But may be not

4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Demand for housing is directly correlated with the ability to obtain credit, so this should definitely slow demand. Regulators know it, and its a large part of their rationale for changing.

An expression used 'to cut the tops of the booms' - the 'tops' exhibit the most dangerous threats to financial stability.

As for brokers, i'd guess Jamie's not the only one, this will likely increase broker demand. Confusion, bank changes, etc - make it a little harder to go solo if your looking to build outside vanilla situations.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I've been extra busy too, but it is having a large effect on clients with more than a few properties - many cannot service for new loans and many would not qualify for what they have now either.

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

That's why a good broker can really be helpful. Sometimes, I just can't understand why people want to go solo and get buried by papers. Always pay for good advice!

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I agree - it is busy and I'm noticing more purchases rather than less - lots of equity releases too, which ultimately result in more purchases.
    Pretty much 99% investors :)

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Yea Im finding myself in the same boat. Completely annoying!
    The banks don't like the idea of me extracting all this equity out based on my current income. Boo!

@Mick C is helping me out and restructuring so that I can still borrow to buy another IP in the future.

9. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Those who cannot service for new loans - so they can't raise the deposit required and now are waiting (I presume) until they can?

Those ones who would not qualify for what they have now... do you get the sense they're going elsewhere to try their luck?

10. larrylarry

Do the lending restrictions vary according to different states? If the restrictions apply to all properties all over Australia, as property investors, where can they go?

11. Terry_w

Its not the deposit aspect, but the servicing that is holding these clients back.

Some have no where else to go and many have equity built up but are unable to use it - without selling.

12. Terry_w

No - bank policy across the board.

13. Terry_w

Into shares!

Jess Peletier and larrylarry like this.
  14. larrylarry

Thanks Terry. I guess there's a lot of reading up on sharemarket if one is not attuned to shares. :)

15. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Is this negatively geared properties? The charges on the loan aren't being covered by rent?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm very interested to hear from someone on the front lines so to speak. I've seen APRA's changes be referred to as 'wet lettuce' regulation so it's interesting to see that perhaps it has much more of an effect than people are saying.

16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Majority are investors. Lots are buying up in QLD.

There's a good mix of local clients too- lots of FHB's and upgraders.

Cheers

Jamie

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Still plenty of areas that look like better value than Sydney.
    Better fundamentals than BNE in my opinion.

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I'd debate the latter but not the former :D. Higher average entry than many parts of Brisbane.

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

For me, all my IPs are positively geared.

They don't like the level of debt I currently have (even though I can service them at higher interest rates).

They would like to see a big serviceability buffer. Meeting their current serviceability criteria + $1 isn't sufficient. They want their current serviceability criteria + $1,000 (as its assessor's discretion).

They said they would approve if i was actually buying an IP right now, but because its for equity extract, they are knocking me back. I've already got about $300k in equity that has already been knocked back :(

What effect does this have on the current market? Probably bugger all. First time investors who have equity in their PPR can still easily extract equity. Those are the ones who are fuelling the fire in my opinion.

I was probably going to sit on the equity until an opportunity presented itself... which is zero at present in the Sydney market.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yep, I think that's why there's plenty of people heading for the cheapies outside Brisbane.