credit report ban....

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Keentolearn77, 7th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have sought to have credit report bans placed with the 3 credit provider companies Experian, Illion & Equifax.
    The first 2 put my requested bans in place no problem, with some basic personal information
    Whereas experian have requested a cybercrime report # or police report....

How do I convince Equifax to put the ban in place as the other 2 companies have, without having a police / crime report to provide to them.....

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

What's the reason you need to place a ban on your credit file?
    It's usually only if you suspect your identity has been stolen and someone is attempting to apply for credit in your name, if that's the case you probably should report it?

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2020
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Interested to follow this - my partner has had a couple of questionable transactions on CC - got those reversed with no issue.

Thought he'd check his credit files - two were fine, the other one had an enquiry from Optus (he has no accounts or dealings with them). Then started to get texts from a debt collector (obviously the details from his credit check were passed on to them). They wouldn't tell him anything because his details don't match; back to the credit file - nothing to do with us, go to Optus.

After a very long phone call where Optus couldn't help him without an account number/phone number ... he got put through to the appropriate department, who sent him the necessary forms to dispute this & query the credit check without his authority. Off to the local police station, waited 1.5 hours there, they finally said oh we can't do that, get on to the police assistance line. But they did witness his stat decs.

Back home, onto the phone with PAL. Very helpful, but said we can take details of the transactional side, but not the identity fraud, the local police deal with that. Fortunately they organised the police to do a home visit for this one, they just turned up at 8pm.

Called Optus back, they said oh we have found 2 accounts with a "significant balance" in your name.
    Have sent all docs & details back to Optus, this was about a week ago and haven't heard anything since.

4. Lindsay_W

So, did your partner place a ban on their credit file? If not, they should do so asap, they would obviously qualify for the Equifax ban too as there is a police record.

It's a good idea to pay for the Equifax subscription service as it notifies you of ANY activity on your credit file as it happens, highly recommended.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2020
  5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

What happens when you do try to go for another loan?
    And as we found, a lot of places don't look at all three providers, they only use one. So a ban on Equifax wouldn't help where Illion or Experian were used.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bizarrely you likely wont hear anything more. You can check that the debt is not reported against your name and pursue that but they wont tell you a thing.

Suggestion - Follow this process as they will already have compromised your identity. And lock your email and anything else you can with 2FA. And lock your ATO account by voice.
    Identity fraud

qak likes this.
  7. Lindsay_W

Not sure I understand your question correctly? You would need to wait until the ban is removed before applying for further credit.
    The purpose of placing a ban on your credit file is so NO ONE can apply for credit in your name using your identity - including yourself.
    You should place a ban with all 3 credit reporting bodies if your identity has been stolen, not just one.
    You should not place a ban on your credit files if you're trying to hide information from a lender...

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2020
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Ban is explained in the above link or here Fraud and your credit report

Its just 21 days and needs to be extended. Once started the credit agency can also ban YOU if they wish. I had this occur with westpac when I reported a fraud concerning a fraudulenty signed guarantee. I only found out a few months later after they charged someone with a offence and cleared any wrong doing.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia