Credit record - credit card applications

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by rizzle, 17th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I like talking advantage of the credit card deals that come around every 3 to 6 months (free for first year, travel insurance, bunch of QFF points etc)

Would there ever be any issues down the track when applying for an IP loan if there are two or three applications each year, no interest ever incurred and no applications ever rejected? (i cancel them once bonus points are earned)

2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Might throw a spanner at some point - confirmation of the closures might be worth holding onto.

3. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

im with Brady.. might hurt you later down the track in terms of credit scoring.

4. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Credit scoring WILL die eventually from this kind of 'strategy'. I've dealt with a few people who tried this until they got declined, we could still place the deal and follow up purchases, but by being precluded from certain lenders meant they had effectively wiped out their ability to buy another 2-3 props over the long term.

I'm more interested in the game of building wealth which gets me to retirement, than bonus frequent flyer points.

158 and tobe like this.
  5. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Roger that. I guess I'll dial it down a notch. I will miss those free flights though :(

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Yes I've often thought I could juggle around some debt on interest free periods - but really not worth burning the credit file over saving few hundred dollars and also the time taken to get these cards approved / providing documents

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Might work out ok for someone not active in property investment. If you are active or plan to be it will limit your choice of lenders so not worth it.

8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's not worth it IMO - there's much more potential wealth to be gained from purchasing properties rather than racking up rewards points.

Some lenders will question every credit file hit over the last two years as well. If they see half a dozen credit card applications it might make them nervous. Keep the file clean if you can.

Cheers

Jamie

Brady likes this.
  9. username0

username0 Member

What if you plan on taking out the cc on day 1 (50k cc) and don't plan to buy anymore property for at least 12 months? in which time you'd most likely cancel the cc to get through serviceability?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia