Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Credit checks for job applicants?

Discussion in 'Small Business' started by moyjos, 23rd Sep, 2015.

1. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

This is from another forum, but I would be interested in people's views on this. I think it borders on discrimination.

the thread goes on with people asking what sort of jobs....

Thoughts??

2. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member Business Member

I wouldn't apply, none of their business what I do with my pay packet!

I'm more than happy to do a police check if required (I have to in my job anyway), but I think my credit rating and ability to budget is beyond what an employer needs to make an informed decision.

Also, what if you apply for 10 jobs that all conduct credit checks and then you cannot get finance?!

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

For some high end role and in certain industry, maybe. Dispatch officer and operation manager in cemetery? Nope!

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2015
    spludgey likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm told that a credit check is necessary if you are going to apply for a credit licence or work in a gambling institution. However, Veda, the credit service provider, also have a service where they verify claims made on a resume.

Credit checks are also done on people applying for security clearances.

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

If you were faced with this situation and didn't want them to do a credit check, you could provide them with a copy before hand - saves multiple credit checks when applying for lots of jobs.

6. Kinnon Bell

Kinnon Bell Finance Broker

I think it's reasonable to be done for someone in the finance industry or a position of responsibility - someone's credit report says a lot about their character.

Imperfect credit indicates past or current money issues. Money does silly things to people and if someone is experiencing financial pressure they may not be thinking straight and try to take advantage of a situation they wouldn't usually.

When I started at the bank I had to sign a form saying I had never been bankrupt, had a judgement or default but they never asked for proof. When I became a broker and later changed aggregators I had to provide a copy of my credit report on both occasions to show I had no defaults etc.

That isn't to say that someone's situation won't change if they're hired with a good credit report....

Lil Skater likes this.
  7. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

It's actually called Verify from memory. I've been through the process twice. They basically take your CV and contact prior employers to make sure dates match up. Not sure its really a service I'd pay for personally.

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think it'd be fair enough for a financial adviser position. But if anything that's not related to the financial sector, I think it's very unreasonable.

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Finance broker and strategist Business Member

Finance related fields are required to have a credit check prior to employment. Police checks are also required. This is all reasonable, we are in a position with direct access other peoples financial well being, it needs to be established that we're not in financial difficulty ourselves.

For most jobs out there, completely unnecessary..

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2015
  10. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Did you miss an "un" there or do you really believe that most jobs should require credit checks done?

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Finance broker and strategist Business Member

I cannot be held responsible for bad spelling this late Friday afternoon...

Lil Skater and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Even Harry Potter couldnt "spell" properly some days.

13. pinkboy

pinkboy Well-Known Member Premium Member

Another reason to add to my list of 'reasons why I work for myself'. Probably could get a job.

Police check and I'm ****ed.

pinkboy

14. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Credit checks are standard practice for many companies in the U.S.

Company I work for does them stateside and talking to my American colleagues they don't seems particularly concerned about it.

15. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I agree with the above.... That is such a nosey question! If it was relevant to the job then perhaps it is better to be safe than sorry... But otherwise... Hell no!

16. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Hi Folks

I'm reviving an old post. I'm job hunting at the moment and I was shocked to see a company demanding* my authorisation for background checks or else I couldn't proceed with the online application.

They mention medical, drivers licence, criminal AND credit.

I don't have anything to hide, but its an invasion of privacy and irrelevant for the role (it looks like every role requires this on their site) They also demand* ethnic background, age bracket & current salary. Surely this is illegal?!

To the brokers on here who have had it done to them, does it show up in the "File Access" section on your report? I subscribe to Veda and have a report as recent as this month.

Thanks for your help!

* demand by way of the little red asterisks on selected questions or a tick of a box

17. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Finance Strategist Business Plus Member

What is the job position?

18. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

Hi Corey,

It's the same questions for every job listed on their site, so it's not like it's for a CFO role etc

The company is not listed on the ASX, which I thought it may have something to do with it.

I might call their HR department to have a chat

Cheers

19. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Finance Strategist Business Plus Member

Depending on the industry, could be completely reasonable - or over zealous.

20. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Fairly common overseas and some markets I've worked in - not in the finance industry by the way.
    Would you employ someone with control over a sizable budget if you knew that someone was under financial pressure is the thinking.