Credit cards and applying for a loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by styereye, 3rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. styereye

styereye Well-Known Member

How long before you apply for a home loan should you close your credit cards to help with serviceability?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

depends
    only after the bank says you can't service is generally a good time

styereye likes this.
  3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

There are 2 aspects to credit cards and loan application - one is servicing based on the limits. This can be amended before or during the loan submission. You can have it as a part of the conditional approval.

Then there is the credit scoring side - if you have too much unsecured debts (credit cards, personal loans, etc) and the overall application isn't strong such as LVR, employment, etc then this will affect the application and best to resolve it anytime prior to loan submission.

styereye likes this.
  4. styereye

styereye Well-Known Member

I was hoping to use the credit card to fund renovations and then sell, then pay the credit card off. I'd like to buy soon after so it may be too tight

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There's no practical time limit to this question. I've had lenders ask for confirmation of card closure 18 months after the event, just because it appeared on the borrowers credit report (another dumb lender request to add to a long list).

Just make sure you receive and file a copy of the letter confirming the card has been closed. Lenders will accept this as part of a loan application the same day.

Last edited: 3rd Jan, 2019
    styereye likes this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

For what its worth, it takes about 2-5 months for the credit reporting agency to update the Credit Card account as "closed" on their reports... But then again, I assume a person can show the bank account closure letter to confirm that they actually closed the card. For servicing purposes.