Creative Financing / Risk Free Arb

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tim1268, 21st Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim1268

Tim1268 Member

Not sure how many of you guys do this if you have large stock portfolio but effectively with Aussie rates so low there is a risk free arb where you margin loan on your stocks (at a leverage level you are comfortable with). Not many people know this but interactive brokers is an industry platform many hedge funds use that gives you pretty much the cheapest financing.

You can see loans of $140k - $1.4m AUD is at a rate of 1.5%

Interest and Financing | Interactive Brokers

You can get a cash loan off your stocks and deposit it into an offset account and make the spread i.e. if your mortgage offset account is paying 3.5% you can make effectively 2% risk free a year if you are holding stocks.

Empire likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

These rates were only available to US residents the last time I looked.

Have you actually done this?

3. Tim1268

Tim1268 Member

Yes I have money is deposited within 3 days, the rate is irrespective of domicile but based on the currency you are borrowing in.

Main thing you need to be careful of is the LVR you take out as obviously stock portfolio can be volatile.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Tim1268

Tim1268 Member

To clarify though I have an overseas account which I use (asia based) but i checked the interactive brokers australian website it shows the same thing.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I used to use IB a lot when I was in Singapore. It was great. But once you are based in Australia and use an OZ bank account, there are a lot of restrictions.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia