Creating a Sustainable Development Business Model?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Peter Toma, 25th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter Toma

Peter Toma Active Member

Hi PC family.

First off I understand that there are multiple ways / business models that work & I don't expect to hear 1 hard and fast rule however, my question is....

Once you have locked in the financing of the 1st development & it is underway, how do you create a sustainable business model so that you can purchase the 2nd/3rd/4th block without having to wait to sell (and physically have the profits in your bank account) the previous development (I.e. minimise the down time between developments). Ideally, not have any down time - but I understand this may not be possible initialy ?

I've done some numbers on undertaking Dual Occ developments & initially you can live in the 1st (any maybe the 2nd development) to not get CGT but this is not a sustainable model and at some point you need to be able to keep going without any downtime - or moving into each property you build!

I would really appreciate any advice from any developers (or others who know) who have built something substantial and is currently running their own development business as this is what I am aspiring to within the next 5-7yrs.

Any advise would be fantastic.

James Stevenson likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Very 'easy'. Have a massive truck load of equity available and super, duper serviceability (if residential). Commercial has less emphasis on serviceability but then you have other factors to contend with. Alternatively (if you're in a position to) use all cash to develop, bypass the banks.