Cracks in a Californian bungalow

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Mina, 15th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mina

Mina Member

Hello everyone we have been living in this home for the last 2 yrs but we are now seeing a lot of cracks appearing on the walls. Please see this is a 1920 bungalow. Let me know what should be our course of action. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe have a look at your insurance cover policy first because the way that first photo and the span of that movement and the way that mid wall section is deflecting the next stage may well be it all falls over..imho..

3. vudu

vudu Well-Known Member

From my understanding cracking is often caused when the soils surrounding the foundations shrink, often due to drying, causing movement of foundations and attached walls. Given the current drought conditions in Sydney (guessing from your location) this may be the case. Often watering the affected soil may reverse the process. A building inspection may provide some clarity. Good luck.

Stoffo and Propertunity like this.
  4. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

The cracks are hairline cracks, 3-5mm non-structural it seems (not a structural engineer). I'd patch it and move on.

The first pic looks like the edge of a plasterboard? odd, isn't it double brick?
    I'd be a bit cautious seeing as its above a door and its vertical.. ask a builder to come by and have a quick look.
    Generally the 1910's Cal bungalows are very sturdy buildings with 100yrs+ life on them.

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Same sort of cracks appeared in the Californian bungalow that we owned in Burwood, due to soil movement - we just filled in the cracks. If you are worried consult a builder/engineer.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you affected by Westconnex, Northconnex, Disconnex, M5, Sydney Metro or other roadway project?

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

...yes, as the others have said, probably double brick and probably cracking due to the drought. If you fill them now, when the rains come back, the walls will move back and likely push out any filler you have used to repair them now.

8. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Our bungalow has 2 cracks which have appeared in the last 4 weeks. The lack of rain, removal of 3 trees close to house has changed the ground near the house and a new driveway / Slab has reduce the water runoff as well.

parents Bungalow has also a few new cracks appear as well, very common.

9. Mina

Mina Member

what is the approach I have to adopt. I have issue with the door which is hard to open or close on account of this movement. Is this a common thing?

10. Paul@PAS

[email protected] Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Uninsurable. Its like claiming fading for your paint isnt damage either. Its a maintenance and ownership issue. eg Termite damage isnt insurable either

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

significance, geeza and Optimus like this.
  12. Something_Wrong

I have patched our cracks as Xmas was at out place and I wanted it to look great as we just renovated and painted, after this weeks rain the cracks have pushed out the filler and now there is a line on the wall, quick sand and repaint and its gone until the next big dry.

Doors I have just used the plane or belt sander to get then to open close, just taking a very small skim of the top, enough to get them working. Don't want to get to much off as if they move back I don't want ugly gaps.

Propertunity likes this.
  13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Well written and I agree that our houses are "living", so to speak. In a country like ours, with weather extremes and reactive clay soil in particular here in Sydney, cracking is common and most of the time not a major concern. I live in a federation house built approx 1905 and there's several fine hairline cracking sections in some rooms, which ebb and flow according to the dry/wet. All part of living in these older homes, especially with different building techniques compared to today's housing.

14. Something_Wrong

You should see the cracks start to close over the next few days, our doors in the one affected room closes perfect now, glad I didn't take to much off with the belt sander.