cracks around window frames

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by S0805, 2nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

As per attached photos we seem to have issue in our 2nd bedroom. We don't use this at all & we noticed the gap between the window frame and adjoining wooden board/ plaster board (not sure what you call it). from the 3rd photo just outside this window frame you'll see the wooden board is out of sync with cream metal frame (it should fit inside the frame) This is the only part of the house where it is out of sync and i can't seem to pull it & fit it in frame.....

We had gap opening about 2 yrs at the same place and we filled it will selly's adhesive fix.....you could see from photo that even that is not holding up...from last summer we've noticed number of cracks developing throughout the house (especially near window frames) but not this big....

how we should fix this.....any advise will be helpful...

cheers

Attached Files:

2. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

anyone???

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I can't really work out the photos are they rotated the wrong way? ? Can you get a **** of the whole window with an ąarrow to the area of concern then close ups

4. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

thanks @bob shovel . I've uploaded the photos with additional text. Basically 'Outside window' is outer part of the frame leading to backyard. Crack is appearing inside bedroom but from outside you can see plasterboard thing is out of whack...

Attached Files:

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It looks like perhaps the plaster pieces were not big enough to big with, and/or were not pinned adequately?

6. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

This wasn't the issue before. I'm wondering there is more at play here like stumping problem or something.....just noticed door on the same bedroom is jamming as well...:(

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ah ok
    Yeah could be settlement issues. Check under the house for water or any signs of water not getting away.
    It can be fixed easy enough but worth investigating as you could catch something more serious early.

8. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

The photo from outside looks like eaves lining has come out of the groove in the metal fascia, obviously there is some movement in this area. Check and see if there is any cracking either in the brickwork or lower at floor level. To get the eaves lining back into the fascia loosen the beading near the wall and slide a very wide chisel or bolster up there so you can lever the sheet into the groove again, replace the beading and touch up. Inside....wow...bit of of movement eh ? Check the outside brickwork for movement. Two ways to fix, either take off or not take off choice is yours ?? To not take off scrape off as much of the glue / filler as you can between wall and architrave then pre drill some approx 75mm long course thread wood screws straight through architrave, wall lining into wall. Should pull it in then fill may not even have to paint if you use a whit coloured filler

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Are there any trees nearby that could have root systems spreading and causing the movement?

10. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

what trade do i need to fix this. We used to have a tree on the left side of window frame. We noticed diagonal cracking between the bricks few years back but those have been filled up automatically. Suffice to say there is little movement around this area of house and we are noticing more and more cracks while looking closely. I am freaking out and hope its not gona cost me major. what should i do please...

11. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

@Agent99 thanks for your advise. I'v read your comments few times, i half understand what you are saying about fixing it from outside but i'm lost in inside bit....I am not from building/handyman industry....can you point me to some videos on you tube or in layman's terms say what you are saying....apologies trying to make of all new words to me...

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This is an easy fix, assuming no other major issues.

Just get a handyman for reattaching the architraves. Or get a carpenter to have a look.

Looks like the nails that are used to attach the architrave to the studs around the window (inside the room) have come off.

Brickwork does crack. If the crack closes up or stays stable, then not much to worry about.

How long have you been in the house and what suburb is it in?

13. Agent99

Inside- architrave has come away from the wall, there is obviously a good reason so need to check wall and floor to find out why its moving. Maybe the floor has sunk a little inside ?? Maybe the wall has moved ??
    To fix architrave scrape out all the filler and glue that you see in the photo so that it can fit hard back to the wall again. (use a sharp wide chisel or knife) Put wood screw right through architrave into wall and this will hold it. Just a bit of filler and good as new. Outside may take a bit more effort as you may need to find where the eaves lining is joined, prob better just to get a handyman to do both. Beer always helps too ! For the tradie I mean.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Note: putting the wood screw 'into the wall' actually means into the timber stud that runs up beside the side of the window frame (if you were putting in a new architrave you would nail into the edge of the reveal with thin nails).

You have to be careful as you can miss the stud if you screw or nail too near the outside edge of the architrave.

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2016
  15. Agent99

@S0805 On much closer inspection of one of your photos it appears that wall movement has moved the window frame and not the architrave as I originally thought. (sorry but the photos are a bit small for me !)
    Something structural happening there but still should be ok to fix just not like I explained.
    Need to try and get the window frame back into position first.

S0805 likes this.
  16. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'm not going to fix this on my own. given the doors are jamming as well i think there is structural issue here. rather than calling handyman should i call builder or engineer to inspect first...any recommendation in Melb (east side) will be helpful.....can they come out to quote or something or is it hourly charge...

17. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

One way to check and see if your house is unlevelling is to use the cup and spoon trick. In the room that the evidence is showing, hold the cup against the wall 2 foot above the floor and lightly tap the base of the cup while pushing the cup around the room, you will hear a distinctive sound that comes from the cup once the cup passes over the uneven structural level, it will sound like a very high pitched pop. The cup must be ceramic and no more than 250 ml and the spoon metal preferably dessert or soup. Tap the cup base twice for every 5cm cup surface travel.

Report back here with findings and I'll instruct further

Over and out

18. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

What type of foundation does this house have? Is this an older house on perimeter strip footings or stumps? The pattern of cracking around the window and jamming door would indicate a potential differential settlement issue due to shifting foundations.

19. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Its on concrete stumps. There is access to under floor however the part of the house where cracks are coming up is extremely difficult to get into. House built in 90's. There is slight slope leading to our house from drive way.

20. Agent99

Ah concrete stumps. May need a little wedging in places, best to get some free advice from a local chippie or builder. There may be someone working (building site or reno) in your area that you could ask if they wouldnt mind having a look for you.